Home Chat General Chat

I'm interested to know, what is your LT heart rate (approx)?

Ok, so I'm bored. I've just been out for a threshold interval session, its the first time I've properly relied on heart rate as well as my usual RPE for this workout and was intrigued to find my LT seemed to be lower than I expected.

So I have this question, what do you think approximately (or accurately if you've had it tested, I'm looking at you Benny). I don't want lengthy explanations, I'm just curious!

Mine - Cycling - 172-3

Running - 178

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I am hoping you are either a way better triathlete than me or way younger!!!

I did a metabolic assessment not so long ago and my readings were:

Cycle - 149 HR

Run - 157 HR

It worked out to be about 80% of my Max HR for the run.

172 and 178 is bloody impressive![image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    thank you kindly, although I think its because I'm 23 [:D]
  • How do you work it out???????
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    You can get it measured - jab to the finger to get some blood, then some chemistry. Needs a lab assessment.

Or you can muck about on a treadmill and look for physiological changes - there was a thread were someone who knows gave more details. Basically, you are looking for the point where you start to need more oxygen - so when your breathing gets heavy.. So you run on a treadmill, and get someone to count your breaths (hard to do yourself). When there is a dramatic (i.e. non linear increase), that's your threshold. Obviously, you need to be measuring your heart rate at the same time. Again, having a mate to help you do this is pretty key, as you will be trying to hard to do it yourself. At least, that's what I've found.

I'm not sure what mine is - I think about 164 (HR max is 183). I'm 44 going on 45.

• Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    There is a big section on testing and Lactate threshold in The Triathletes Training Bible (I understand someone on this forum wrote a book too, but he is too modest to mention it[;)]) which I found really useful.

I'm in the high 160's

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I think, based on some intervals that my running LT would be too high above my cycling LT to make sense, but this is what I've figured:

Running: 168

Cycling: 153

A difference of 15 makes me think one is off... probably the cycling is too low but need to retest in a couple weeks.

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    cycling will be lower cos you arentusing your whole body. same as HR zones, bike will be lower than run
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Had mine tested and have the results in since 3 days.

Running LT: 178, same as you Tommi, but I'm 30. Don't know how this relates to PB's and times though!?
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Jack Hughes wrote:

You can get it measured - jab to the finger to get some blood, then some chemistry. Needs a lab assessment.

Or you can muck about on a treadmill and look for physiological changes - there was a thread were someone who knows gave more details. Basically, you are looking for the point where you start to need more oxygen - so when your breathing gets heavy.. So you run on a treadmill, and get someone to count your breaths (hard to do yourself). When there is a dramatic (i.e. non linear increase), that's your threshold. Obviously, you need to be measuring your heart rate at the same time. Again, having a mate to help you do this is pretty key, as you will be trying to hard to do it yourself. At least, that's what I've found.

I'm not sure what mine is - I think about 164 (HR max is 183). I'm 44 going on 45.

If you try typing in Conconi test you should get a detailed account of this test,it was on a thread last year,but after I mentioned it someone replied saying it had been disproved,but conflict in any debate is good as it shows that no-one is missing out.Regular blood tests as you conduct a ramp test would give an accurate result,but as you get older the LT will change so regular testing is required and would eat into you triathlon budget.I think their is a sports med book titled Lactate Threshold Training.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

I'm doing some physiological testing tonight and over the coming months so might have some data to post for you.
    Sorry forgot to answer the question and went off on a tangent,mine is 147 based on the Conconi test.
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    is it expensive to get a test done
    ironkav wrote:

is it expensive to get a test done

If you ask aroud at your local colleges/universities you could be lucky and find some students that want some guinea pigs so a freebie may be on offer,otherwise it depends on how rigorous the tests are,a few years back I got a couple of quotes between 50 to 100 pounds.