Home Chat General Chat

What the hell has happened to all the prices?

I'm currently looking to get some race wheels so I'm shopping around at the moment, but what has happened to all the component prices? I typically look at wiggle and have often found lots of cheap stuff on there in the past, but not anymore!

I built my bike up last year, about october time, its basically Cervelo P2C frame, dura-ace group and profile carbon bars,sram TT brake leves, fizik arione saddle. Cost me in total, without wheels 1500.

I was bored so I added up what it would have cost me if I did it now, sourcing the same parts from the same places, without wheels again it came to £2400!!! nearly 1000 difference in 5 months.

How is this so? is there any reason everything has gone up?

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I think most of it is imported from Euroland (even a lot of the japanese stuff comes in via europe - or is priced in euros) - and the pound has collapsed against the euro, so all the prices have gone up. I expect that the opportunity is also being taken to increase margins, as that usually is what happens.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Was looking around for a trundling around bicycle for the missus in Halfords back in January - A Subway Woman's bike was in store for £184.99. On Halfords' website last weekend at £225.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I'm just so glad that I put together my bike when i did! And to think I was going to keep the money and build it at the start of this season!
  • Purchased new bike yesterday. The shop had it advertised at one price but when they checked the manufacturers website, there was a £200 increase. Unfortunately, the one they had in stock was too small for me so I've had to pay the higher price. Also, while I was there, they received an email from Cube, saying that they were raising their prices as of 1st April.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    bloody hell. The pound really is crap isn't it!

so if its the pound collapsing against the euro, does anyone know if prices have gone up in euros as well?
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    In short we import nearly everything and pay either Euros or Dollars for it. As the pound has slumped against both, either snap up as much 08 kit as you can find now, or expect to pay a higher price for it.

We're talking everything from bikes to components to clothing.

Happy days!!!!
  • Just bought myself an 08 Giant scr1.5 w at £481 (RRP £650) - same spec this year is the avail 2 at £775!!

Never thought I'd buy a WSD bike but

a) It ain't pink

b) It fits perfick

c) It goes like a train

d) I couldn't afford the same spec in 09 model!

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Basicly all Shimano Prices have gone up by 30%,sram and campag up by as much as 15%
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    It's not just the value of the pound against the Dollar or Euro. The biggest factor is customer demand. Would a retailer or wholesaler sell something for £1 when the demand is there & they could get £2? Would you turn down a pay rise? Unlikely!

So when is peak demand?

When the evenings draw out?

When it gets warmer?

When the weather makes cycling a pleasure?

When the Tri season kicks off?

When time trials begin?

When the government has a big advertising campaign for families to exercise?

When keenies start fettling their bikes for the new season?

"End of Season Sale" has a familiar ring to it unlike "Start of Season Sale"

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Never mind the prices! I've just bought a Profile carbon seat-post (to bring my seat forwards) and some new aero bar extensions. Also some nice new cork tape. Already got the base bar, Dura-Ace shifters and Blackwell Research brake levers hidden in my goody box.

All this should get the bike into the 'as designed' seating position ready for some proper racing.

Credit crunch? Pah! High prices? Pah! We're triathletes.... paying more is surely better?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    A while ago we had to divide the value in euro by almost 1.5 to know the pound value here in Belgium. So 150 € was about 100£.

In January they had a special deal at Planet X Belgium: Prices in £= prices in €.

Says a lot about the Pound strenght at the moment.