Home Chat General Chat

cycling, silly question?

Hi all

may be a daft question, now the nites are light, I am gonna start getting on my bike (have been doing spin classes at gym to train in interim to start off training) now then..

I am only having to do a 23k bike ride for my first tri, so the question is:

on my 2-3 sesh's a week, do I just cycle that distance or is there any specific training I can do on my bike to help me?

I am new to cycling so please dont use any jargon if there is any! lol

thanks!

Shell [:)]

Comments

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Hi Shell,

First I train in minutes which I find better as you can compare your work better at the end. e.g. You can check your distance achieved against the 30min each time to see if your getting faster. Also easier to plan into your schedule.

I keep my RPMs between 80 and 95 always. I add in 2-3 minute 100+RPMs every 10mins to increase the intensity of the session.

I increase the timing of the sessions weekly. Started at 3*30mins a week. Up to 3 * 45mins now.

I dont get out on the roads until the weekend. I try and get one long cycle of 1 hour + in every saturday followed by a run to get my body used to the transition also.

Hope that helps.

ironkav

JARGON used sorry.

RPM revolutions per minute: you can seen this on most gym bikes. I usually leave the info screen on RPM so I can keep above 80 always. If you are always over 95ish then increase the resistance on the bike until you are between 80+90
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    I will be doing my cycling of an evening as I cannot always commit to weekends, so I may follow your 30mins increase to 45 mins idea.

thanks!

And adding a run at the end too is a good idea.

I will really feel the jelly legs then huh!

thanks for posting :-)
    jelly legs exaclty. i find the transition weird for 1st 5 mins then the legs loosen out.

Your v welcome

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Depending on what your aims are (i.e. speed or just finsihing etc), a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to comfortably ride double your race distance.

I would imagine that this only really applies to sprint and Olympic distance. Riding 360km to prepare yourself for an Ironman would be a bit of a challenge...
    well its my first tri, so a sprint. I have ridden my race distance in the gym yet I want to now get out on the road on my own bike.

So I was thinking I could use one sesh for doing the distance and another for maybe 30 mins followed by a 5k run or something.. what dya think?

• jacjac Posts: 452
    When's your first tri meakie?

What's your target? To finish, to be competitive, time etc?
    There would be no harm in doing the 20km + 5km to check your times. Treat it like a race.

I usually set my bike up outside, start my stopwatch, get dressed, put on shoes, helmet etc (transition practice) and hit the bike. WHen i return I park the bike, change into running gear (clock still ticking) and go for 5k.

IK

May 10th, my aim is to just get through it, i have been cycling alot in the gym but just doing distance really, and now I can get "out" on my bike I thought I would ask the question.

My swimming and running is going well, just need to kick the bike section up really.

Obviously I would like to do it in a good time but I mainly want to get thru it without pain or stopping!

Youll do Great!!! [:)]

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Don't hold your breath on the no pain thing though. It's gonna hurt a little - that's one of the things that makes finishing such a buzz!
    If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

How cliche was that. :P

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Meakie I'd aim to do one bike slightly longer than race distance, one shorter ride at race pace followed by your run and one incorporating some intervals, which will help up your overall speed.

That's pretty much what I'm doing in the run up to mine at the end of May.

Also try and check out the bike course - so you know where the hills, downhills, bends and flats are.

Also try and check out the bike course - so you know where the hills, downhills, bends and flats are.

Good idea. My next tri is actually in my town. I do the same bike route that the tri is using for training.
    erm the tri is about 2hrs from where I live! so I MAY be able to get there once before the tri to suss out the route, I had planned on that anyway

and of course I know I am going to suffer- I aint walking it! hell no.

Wish me luck, am excited but cackin it!

waaaaahhhhhhh.....

ironkav wrote:

If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

How cliche was that. :P

I never said it was easy.... hell no
    Good luck. [:)] let us know how it goes and how the bike workouts go
    shall deffo let u know how it goes! cheers for the tips all.

39 days to go!

tick tock!