Home Chat General Chat

Wetsuit

GGBGGB Posts: 482
My wetsuit turned up today :D - just thought I'd mention it.

Anyway I tried it on and it fits in all the right places but my question is how tight is tight ?

The neck feels very tight and I was walking like a zombie but it only took about 5 mins to get on whereas the paperwork that came with it said that is may take over 15 mins. I know it will feel different once in the water but I have never worn a wetsuit before... so as said above how tight is tight ?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I asked this question. I need someone to do up the last bit of the zip at the back. I was told that is not too tight.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    If it takes three of you its too tight.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    It should be fairly tight

whether you can do up the zip is often more of a test of YOUR flexibility I've found, I always have to get someone to zip me up.

The most important bit is if you have good movement in the arms, this should be as unrestricted as possible, try spinning your arms a bit as if you swimming, if your arms are getting fatigued after a short time then it may be too tight, although with time it may loosen up a bit.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Cheers - will try it on again at the weekend and move my arms around a bit more ;) ... will hopefully get to try it out in some water by mid April.

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    It is a wetsuit. It is designed to fit you in the water when you are swimming. Any other test is just wrong.

Get wet, get the suit wet. See how it moves on you etc.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Get in it and get in the shower (luke warm, cold preferably) you'll feel it start to fit better straight away. As Bopo says, its a wet suit.

It should be tight, the neck should be tight enough to form a seal so no water floods in and fills the suit up. Youll never get the perfect fit by trying it on dry. Try putting plastic bags on your feet and hands when slipping them into the suit as this makes it tons easier to get it on.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Tried mine again tonight. Still very tight, but I can get the zip up by myself. Marvellous. Hope I'm not too thin by June!

• fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    I got my first wetsuit last year and felt like I was being crushed in my first tri with it... I then started to really suffer with arm tiredness after only a short distance. Having spoke to people I train with I learned some useful stuff -

[ol][*]Check the arm and leg length is right. Mine will let me put it on with the cuff at the wrist cos it's so stretchy but actually should be half way up my arm, once I sorted that out it was sooooooooo comfy and no tired arms

[*]Go with the plastic bag thing, it rocks especially on a hot day. Putting a wetsuit on sweaty = no fun

[*]If you are there with team mates, help each other, you always get a better fit with help[/ol]

After that it will still be tight - it's meant to be so it doesn't flap about

Hope that helps...