Home Chat General Chat

Overtraining...?

Ok so i've been training pretty hard over the past week and the last few nights i've been sleeping pretty badly. I just read (homoerotic mens fitness) that overtraining can raise your BP and RHR and cortisol levels which in turn give you broken sleeps. anyone else experienced this? If so, how do you guys deal with this? just train less?

Comments

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Hey,

Do you have any rest days scheduled in your week?

I take mondays off completely. Max of 2 disciplines a day. Then again I am only a beginner, but rest is overlooked sometimes by beginners.

Also, what is your diet like?

ironkav

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Yeah, I take a full day off training on mondays too. my diet is pretty good. Porridge of course with fruit for brekkie, homemade veg/chicken soup and cous cous for lunch, tuna/jacket spud and veg/salad for tea. umpteen litres of water! usually a great sleeper, been training really well-and loving it!!
  • overtraining is a bugger,

i usually work a 4-3 routine (4 days training, 3 days off), usually like day on day on day off day on day on day off day off.

How many hours you sleepin?

Do you driink coffee?

Try some herbal tea an hour before bed. Try to tune down your day by reading your 220 magazine ;) avoid the TV. This might help you unwind and relax before hitting the sack.

Ive no problem catching Z'z. As soon as i get into bed Im snooozing. [;)]

getting up is another problem lol

IK

Always have my eight hours, and i dont drink coffee (always makes me feel a bit shaky and ill) falling asleep is no drama, soon as my head hits the pillow. just that my sleeps are broken. Might try the herbal tea thing, though. someone suggested a supplement called 5-HTP, anyone familiar with that?

It's a bit tricky getting a full day off as most days i teach classes and i am expected to provide a tough workout (no kettlebells but i would if i had any!) as thats kind of what they want from me. most of them are armed forces so no legs, bums, tums cop out for me [:(]
    Ok so along with herbal tea. try this..

Get some lavendar + tea trea oil drops and put 3-4 drops on pillow. It will help you sleep.

Its the little things.

• Put two kettlebells under your pillow and...oh wait you dont have anyway?

I heard that sex helps.

Must see if I have a time slot free for sex. (hope my gf never reads that)

[8D]

sex? pfft! whats that?! seem to be being asked out left and right by MARRIED military types, tell me, where are all the single guys? No, I know, they're at a singles only triathlon event....lol

Anyhoo, i want to actually sleep, not have to PRETEND to be asleep....

lol [;)]
    No pretending to have a headache either [;)]
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Do you ever check your waking heart rate? If you've been over doing it for a few weeks and need time to repair, then your heart will be about 5 bpm higher than when you've been in a "healthy" training cycle. Anyway, it might be good to take out the high mileage workouts for a week and just do some steady or recovery pace workouts instead. Eat lots of veg and you'll probably bounce back in a week.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    your not eating enough

Whats an average days training for you.

Include your minutes or hours doing your routine.

And dont forget your smiley !!
    Average day goes like this; cycle 20 mins to pool, swim drills and sets for 40 mins, run 3-5 miles, take lunch circuits/aerobics class, maybe cycle 45 mins in the avo. maybe i'm overdoing it but i feel so good!!

I know my usual RHR when I wake is average 45bpm. i think i'll check it again in the morning. great advice guys, much appreciated.
    My smiley's default position is up on my face....[:D]
    I would'nt say you were over doing it, i tend to do about 2 hours a day every day.

But i would probably eat double what you are

Yesterday i did 30 mins in morning in the pool

and

1 hour 30 in the gym runner, bike , rower, x trainer, stepper some light weights ( no kettle balls).

Got home at 9 so to late to eat , so today i have eaten.

1 bowl of cherrios, 4 jacket spuds ( good size ones) , two chicken breasts, 150 grams of cous cous with cucumber, mixed herbs and sweetcorn, 2 apples 2 bananas. 2 cups of tea, 2 of coffee and several bottles of water.

You have to fuel all the work your doing, if not you feel tired and think your over training, when your probably just under fueling.

wow jelly legs, we're as busy at each other! lol its good to know that i'm not doing too much, i do believe in listening to my body and if she says 'dont train' then i wont. i guess we just love training!! I will add that i'm trying to trim down so although i make sure i never go hungry, i dont think four jacket spuds is quite the way forward for me!!!

thanks for the advice [:)]
    believe me, people have got to get out of there head about losing weight and training.

If you EAT, it will give you more energy to TRAIN.

ERGO.

Train more, for longer and harder, YOU LOSE WEIGHT.

Look at your eating plan, it simply is not enough to train at that level and sustane you.
  • Nytoll...one a night??[;)]
    Hmmmm maybe, i'm not mad keen to go popping pills, tho. That kind of stuff stays firmly in my past!! lol
    of course it all depends on what time your training and then what time you go to bed etc.

Some chemical in your brain ( in varying degrees in each person)

endorphines.( i think), they can keep you away if you train late.
    nope, i train first thing in the morning, in bed by ten. pretty flippin sad eh? i'll let you know how the sleep goes with my full belly, lavender pillows, kettlebells and sleeping tablets! [:D]
  • Jesster wrote:

nope, i train first thing in the morning, in bed by ten. pretty flippin sad eh? i'll let you know how the sleep goes with my full belly, lavender pillows, kettlebells and sleeping tablets! [:D]

Ill pop in later to provide the rest :D oh eh oh eh oh eh

[sm=kiss.gif] ooh mr nighttrain, you do make a girl blush! will you bring your own kettlebells or would you like to share mine? [;)]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I did a thesis some time ago which looked into overtraining. Yu won't have chronic overtaining syndrome if you have only just started a proper programme, but you may be overstretching yourself and you just feel tired.

Overtraining is a different kettle of fish - it usually hits highly motivated athetes who have a very specific and exclusive target in mind (Olympic medal, World medal,national title) and it is the result of prolonged overstretching and pushing oneself without proper recovery. It manifests itself with major biochemical, physiological and even psychological changes in the body, but the athlete is so driven that he trains on through the illness that the condition brings on and ignores the warning signs, until quite literally he drops.

Unless you are getting into this territory then you are probably just overstretching yourself and a little rest will sort you out. Now top whinging and get training!

• Jesster wrote:

[sm=kiss.gif] ooh mr nighttrain, you do make a girl blush! will you bring your own kettlebells or would you like to share mine? [;)]

Id rather if you swung my kettlebells :P

@ treefrog- you're a bossy old sod, aren't ya?!

Alright, alright, i'll get me trainers.....! [:(]