Home Chat General Chat

Bike Rims

As i am new to Triathlons can anyone tell me what advantage i could/would get if i purchased some rims like the "Zipp 404 Clincher Rear and Front Wheel"? (I am currently riding a Cannondale R1000)

Is it worth the expense?

Many thanks

Comments

• BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    less frontal area

MOre aerodynamic - less spokes to cause turbulance

Stiffer -(better power transfer)

Better bearings. (i.e. less resisitance to rolling).

Physcological - make a cool woo'ing noise, look really cool, click really loudly if you are no t pedaling, egging you on.

If you are spending that sort of money though I think you should go all out and switch to tubs/tubless.
  • GeddoGeddo Posts: 2
    Thanks Barny,

Can you recommend anything?
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I think the tub/clincher argument is a good one, but the ease of changing a flat on a clincher is 10x that of a tub for me at least. I could just be really daft about this...

However, the lighter tubs also have (in general) a much higher rolling resistance. That doesn't mean so much on a flat course but if your races are like mine and really hilly, then the clincher probably gets you there faster.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Depends I guess on what the time saving will be. Is the approx £1k it will cost you worth it for a couple of minutes??

Personal choice really but if you are only racing against yourself (i.e. not contesting the podium), then I'd find it hard to justify the expense.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    I just think if you are buying zipps fro £1200+ you should get the best there is which is tubless!

If you just want aero then go for planet X / sram / hed or something inthe £5-700 bracket in clincher version.

It would be a bit like buying a deisel Zonda

FYI: I have a £550 pair of Dakia 58mm clincher wheels and they are great.