Home Chat General Chat

what is with people???!!!?!?!

md6md6 Posts: 969
Ok this is going to be a little bit of a rant...I was in the pool today doing my furthest ever non stop swim (only 450m but felt i could go on but form was starting to go...) and i am almost half way up the lane with someone coming in the other direction, then the next thing i see when i turn to breath in the middle of the pool is some absolute c*ck overtaking in the other direction with their elbow about half an inch from the end of my nose and as his hand went into the water he clipped my hip. Now not being the strongest swimmer this completely threw me and ruined my set - i made it to the end and had to stop as my breathing was out of sync. it wasn't like the lane was really busy there were only 4 people in it so he could have waited until there was space/end of the length right?

This really annoyed me - am I overreacting or being precious here?

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    that would depend. were you in the appropriate lane for your speed? was he pissed off because of that reason? no doubt, bloody rude thing for him to do whatever the sitch....what were the other people in the lane like?

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I get it quite a bit swimming in the mornings, you just get used to it after a while. I have to admit to being one of the overtakers in the past, it can get quite frustrating if there is someone way to slow for the lane and they don't let you past at the end. With 4 people in the lane it is a tad rude though.

It's not just people in your own lane you need to watch out for though, I got punched in the ribs by some guy doing breast stroke in the next lane last week.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    @Jesster, yeah i was doing the same speed as everyone else in the lane (except him) everyone else was good, when people slowed they would wait at the end of the length to let the people behind past. I don't think i could have moved down to the slower lane as that was too slow (even for me).

@Jibby, I have overtaken too, but i tend to wait until there is space, which if he had of waited until i had past there definately was space - i was the last going in that direction, there was no one behind me and no one infront of the person who he overtook. I haven't been hit by people in other lanes - well not yet anyway. Still i guess on the plus side it is sort of preparation for when i get into the open water and people are trying to kill me (thanks to Conehead's book i'm bricking that now)
  • In the gorbals in glasgow i get that all the time. and people stopping and standing up. People getting angry due to speeds. One time i got hit by a frizzbee. all sorts of stuff. Its just daft human nature, there is no escape from it.

If your breathing gets thrown of you have to try and recover and continue, remember if someone scuds you in the tri you cant just grab the wall or stand up. One good thing they have in glasgow is they put broken glass in the pool to stop people just milling around in the lanes.

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    comanighttrain wrote:

One good thing they have in glasgow is they put broken glass in the pool to stop people just milling around in the lanes.

Hmm, might suggest that at my pool. If there's one thing that p*****s me off more than slow swimmers and thoughless overtakers it's the people that completely block the wall so you can't do a full length & push off because they are chatting away. At this rate this could turn into a swimming rant thread.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    The only gripe I have with my pool is the occasional octogenerian getting in the wrong lane, they generaly get the message when you swim over them though.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    chalk it up as great practice for OW swim, and give him a kick in the goolies next time for being such a scamp!

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    This sounds just like a triathlon, build a bridge, get over it and accept that much worse than this will happen to you during a race
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    Ok, so if you're doing sets and have a minute break what / where should you be in order to not cause disruption? I generally tend to hang on to the lane dividers and try to become tiny!

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    it's the people that completely block the wall so you can't do a full length & push off because they are chatting away.

Possibly the best recommendation for learning to tumble-turn. [:D]

Ok, so if you're doing sets and have a minute break what / where should you be in order to not cause disruption?

20s rest maximum, please! Stand to the side of the lane that is NOT the landing zone, i.e. the swimmers are going away from you. If there are more than a couple of you then get out for a long rest.

accept that much worse than this will happen to you during a race.

Agree completely. Put it down as a useful training incident, just like a puncture, a scary slide, a slip on some wet grass, whatever. Deep breaths, calm down, get back up to pace.
    Thanks, i agree worse will happen in a race, but i think i will be expecting it more in a race than a relatively quiet pool . But point noted - will learn to live with it and or swim over him next time.
  • Or keep training and get quicker, wont have the problem then...

Yeah, my swimming is fairly strong and I get pretty annoyed when there are people who are just going way too slow in the lane. Its hard not too overtake alot of the time when this happens, as you cant always wait to the end of the pool to pass. Anyway, i usually just pass and give them a kick in the face as i do it or try and grab their googles, usually sorts the probelm.......joking
    sam_thebatman wrote:

Or keep training and get quicker, wont have the problem then...

It wasn't ,my speed that was the problem, and given it took him almost the 3/4 of a length of the pool to overtake i don't think the person being overtaken was going slowly either. But like said above, chalk it up to experince (and leave my elbow wide next time it happens) LOL
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    @ MD6 - Stuff like that gets to me sometimes and I have no probs with giving them a slight tap on the water ever I can t reach to let them know I am there. I once had my goggles kicked og by a breast stoker over taking in a lane. I was just swimming along a good pace on the other side of the lane and they just pulled out to over take a slow swimmer and I tried to melt into the lane divider just to get my goggles kicked off (it actully hurt a bit) At the end of a couple lenghts later I stopped them at the end of the lane and explained. They did apologies and told me they did not see me. I explained they would next time! (elbows knees) tools of the swimming trade it seems.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    It's probably good training. When you're in the dish washer that is an open water swim start, you'll be thanking that inconsiderate oaf for giving you an early heads-up!
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    20s rest maximum, please!

bugger...