Home Chat General Chat

Newbies

Hello all

Me and a friend are training 4 our 1st triathlon and not really sure we're to start we both have a good level of fitness please can we have some advice on how to workout a training routine. Thanks.

Comments

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I found this pretty useful for the basics.

http://www.220magazine.com/220Triathlon_Beginners_Guide.pdf

I'm waiting for this - haven't read it yet but supposed to be good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triathletes-Training-Bible-Joe-Friel/dp/1934030198/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238767935&sr=8-1

hope that helps - good luck
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I have the triathletes training bible, and find it is pretty heavy going. i will not give up though
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    the first time i tried to read the triathlete's training bible i gave up. after having finished two sprints, i could begin to use it. probably after another season i'll treat it as a bible
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    @danny, i know what you mean, i have my first sprint in a few weeks and as i read further (well the same bit over and over to try and make sense of it) I seem to be getting there. i hope as i gain experience i should find it of more use/more understandable at least!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Yep, same problem for me, the bible way too technical for my level. I found some good stuff on t'interent though. I've used a b##tardised version of a couple of plans, mainly one from runnersworld

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2304

Dead easy to follow. Obviously there's no detail in there, but for me (first season) I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not going to smash any records, but this year is all about the learning. (Yeah keep telling yourself that Dave, you haven't got unrealistic target times have you... course not).

Think I'll save Joe Friel for next season.
  • Yeah, i really like the triathletes training bible, really helps develop focused training. Although the book seems to pressume that you always use a HRM, which i rarely do.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Simple mate if you have a good level of fitness.

Run

swim

cycle

each at least three times per week each.

Dependant on the distance of the race.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Flavadave wrote:

Yep, same problem for me, the bible way too technical for my level. I found some good stuff on t'interent though. I've used a b##tardised version of a couple of plans, mainly one from runnersworld

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2304

Dead easy to follow. Obviously there's no detail in there, but for me (first season) I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not going to smash any records, but this year is all about the learning. (Yeah keep telling yourself that Dave, you haven't got unrealistic target times have you... course not).

Think I'll save Joe Friel for next season.

I agree with you Dave, I've had a good read of it and there's so much detail in there. I've taken on board a lot of tips but this is only my second season and I'm still feeling my way a bit. There's more focus to my training than last year but I think I'll try a full "bible" based traing plan next year.

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    If the Bible is a bit heavy going, Joe Friel does have a book called "your first triathlon" which does exactly what it says on the tin and is aimed at getting you round while having fun. I found it handy for my first tri season as it answers all of your 'what if...?' questions that you feel silly about asking!

Check amazon they'll have good deals. And good luck! [:)]
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    I know what people mean about the book but once id read it and then saw him at the TCR the book is actually quite simple.

Its just all about breaking the year into stages! So far ive missed the first three but that shouldnt be a problem, should it?
  • pippip Posts: 170
    i`ve got my first sprint in may and i`m not following any training manuals just getting out there and doing it seems to work for me