Home Chat General Chat

Transition - getting on bike help!

As a newbie to triathlon, I am doing super sprints and Windsor this year. I did one sprint last year on a mountain bike using trainers for bike & run. This year i've been using clip in shoes on the bike training but do not think I am confident enough to have them clipped in already as I go to get on the bike. Nor am I the best runner in my bike shoes and I've heard its a long transition run at Windsor.

Do people run barefoot with their shoes in hand and put them on in the bike mounting area or will I look silly?

Comments

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    In all honestly mate people wont give a hoot what you do they will be more interested in thinking about themself.

Think about it, you really going to run with your bike in one hand and your shoes in another to the mount point and then sit down to put your shoes on. your bike will then have to be put on the ground for this to happen. it will be carnage.

You have time to train doing it, either with your shoes cliped on already, not an easy option.

Best bet is to practice running with your shoes on.

The time differance between running with shoes on and putting on in mount point is probably neglegable.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    One of this month's mags (either 220 or Triathlon Plus - the missus had opened them - they were posted - when I got home, so not sure which it came with) has a DVD of the 2008 Windsor Tri. Really gives you a flavour for it - and you can see all the elites padding through transition in bare feet. Except when they are crashing into it.

An excellent little DVD.
  • Thanks guys.

I'll have a look out for the DVD and maybe have a practice jumping on bike with shoes clipped in - i have a couple of months. If it doesn't work out, running it is!
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Windsors a grass transition so its easier to run in your cycle shoes as you dont slip and slide!!!!!