Home Chat General Chat

Morning Bike

Hi,

Sunday morning (tomorrow [;)]) is my best time for doing a long steady state bike. I get 2-3 hard bikes in during the week.

My question is I normally like to get up and go so what would be good to eat before I take off. I always bring lucozade sport in my bottle and a nutri grain bar for mid way through. What else wud u suggest?

Thanks,

Paul.

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I'll be doing my long bike tommorow,124miles (200km) I generaly get up at 0600 have a large bowl of museli (with a very slack handful of holland and barret trail mix). On the bike I'll take some haribo (obviously!!), a banana, 2 powerbar cookie bars and some rideshots (never tried these before!). Ill also have plenty of water. My ride goes past a trusty co-op so if I'm really gassing I'll grab a croissant or somthing.

Just looked at the weather and it looks perfect, cant wait!!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Mate no laughing.

Cook some baked potatoes tonight, get up and eat one.

And take a few more in your bike pokets, and much as you go,

Best thing to keep you going.

honest, dont knock it till you tried it.
  • yak5yak5 Posts: 5
    MG wrote:

I'll be doing my long bike tommorow,124miles (200km) I generaly get up at 0600 have a large bowl of museli (with a very slack handful of holland and barret trail mix). On the bike I'll take some haribo (obviously!!), a banana, 2 powerbar cookie bars and some rideshots (never tried these before!). Ill also have plenty of water. My ride goes past a trusty co-op so if I'm really gassing I'll grab a croissant or somthing.

Just looked at the weather and it looks perfect, cant wait!!

How long before you set off do you eat your muesli. I am not a fan or muesli so I will stick to my porridge or Oatibix.
  • I have tryed thsoe ride shots and thought they are prettyy crap

Andy

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I eat the museli about 20-30 min before I get going. If I was doing a balls out 20km TT I would usually have more time (90min aprox) before I ride. As I'm not peddaling at 90-95% TT effort Im not liable to feel nauseus. Fortunately I also have a fairly good digestive system and can eat reasonably close to exersize.

General rule of thumb with eating and then performing moderately hard effort running, cycling and swiming is 60-90min before. If your ride is a long gentle effort then you could probably cycle very soon after your meal.
  • i usually bring just 2 powerbars, 1 bananna, and a small packet of haribo gummy bears.

i never use sports drink. only water.i can do about 150k on this no problems.

do many other people go with food and no sports drink?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Long rides for me start with my new super breakfast - chopped fruit (melon, grapes, clemantines & apple) with fruit smoothie, 1 actimel, honey and a handful of birdseed (mixed nuts & seeds). On the bike I have 750ml of powerbar drink and 2 powerbar bars (plus 2 in reserve in case of bonk)
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Porridge, bucket of coffee, fruit juice. Ride within an hour, bottle of ribena or similar (organic one from waitrose) malt loaf slices (by hand) or bagel, or pnut butter & jam sarnie, banana..& cah just in case does me for 90-100km..not 200..are you mad?
  • baked tatties? [>:]

r u serouz?

haha.

Id take several grain bars (like nutrigrain, but id advise something from www.myprotien.com so you can avoid nasty weak sugars). Also take a Yorkie.

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    porridge, nuts and fruit for brekky and then a pitstop half way for cake and a cuppa....do they provide this on the IM bike route? If not that flask will sure weigh me down.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Anyone see the pic in this month's 220? A bloke in Isreal with two filled baguettes in the back pockets of his bike jacket.

Personally, I like the bike shot things, though I'm concerned the caffine in them made me want to pee on my post bike run yesterday! I may try some of the other sweetie type things reviewed in 220 this month.