Home Chat General Chat

Me vs animal kingdom.

BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
Not sure if this fits into a Conehead book....you know he really should write another one....but I seem to have a grudge match on with gods creatures.

Last week, longish fast run, 1k from home, sun shining speed good, feeling fine, woman with puppy/juvenile dalmation on my left, slow a little, dog is err evacuating...I am past it, relax back to speed....out of nowhere from behind me the little s***e cuts across my feet & I end up on my back in the middle of the path, after a brief exchange of opinions on dog control off I went, my aches & bruises gradually revealing themselves over the next couple of days.

Last night..10.30pm cycling home from work unlit cycle route, 30+kph, battery of lights on, over a rise, slight left hand bend...and theres a wood pigeon in the middle of the path, no time to react for me, he took off, hit me square in the chest (nooo not the face at least), stayed upright, got home to find feathers stuck in my bell, a scratch on my left hip (Lady Britspin says oooh did I do that..'No, some other bird.' I replied) & a bruise on my right forearm...& I don't bruise easily.

So when OW season starts...shark attack? pike bites? Who can tell, perhaps I should stay out of the water.

Comments

• Britspin wrote:

Lady Britspin says oooh did I do that..'No, some other bird.' I replied

surprised you didnt get a black eye too!

I sometimes inhale clouds of midges when im running, and we get Clegs here too (large, biting, sore) and one time a young male deer was barking at me.

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Britspin wrote:
    got home to find feathers stuck in my bell

Fnar Fnar!!!! Thought you said it hit you in your chest..................

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Fnar, fnar...it DID!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Mr.C, Oh I could go on, add the detail, but I thought a rough precis would keep everyone enthralled.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Not training related but one time i hit this pheasant with my pick-up bull bars as it was taking off. i clipped it's tail and it somersaulted and landed squarely in the pick-up flat bed. i stopped and the thing was looking at me with a sideways look and flapped right off unharmed. Gymnast bird!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    No such thing as a bad dog,just a bad owner who cannot control a bad dog.Some shaggy dog stories from my training.

I live in a rural area so a lot of my runs take me past farmyards.As I approached one of the farms I could hear ,what I knew to be an Alsation(GSD) barking.I slowed down and looked towards the house and saw the barking dog by the door of the farm house.I didn't see the second alsation until after it had suck its teeth into my right buttock,probably the biggest and easiest target.The farmer came out,apologised,asked which dog it was,and then denied it could have been that one as it is other barking one that is the aggresive dog.My compensation...a 56lb bag of spuds and an apology delivered to my door.

Again out for a run,I was joined by a greyhound,I stopped told it to go back and carried on,it stayed behind me for the next 4 miles till I got home and I could catch it to check its collar.There are people that say greyhounds don't need much exercise,just I short run out a day,they are liars,this happened 3 times and each time I had to drive it back to its owners,it probably enjoyed the trip in the car and running around our garden with our dalmation.

The worst will always be the extendable lead.....

For those who dislike dogs,I can offer this advice,carry a jif lemon in your hand and if an aggressive dog (or human) approaches a quick squirt in the mouth should deter without long lasting effects to the animal (squirt in eyes if it is human for better effect)
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I sometimes inhale clouds of midges when im running,

Wonder if you could count that in as your protein content??
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    ,this happened 3 times and each time I had to drive it back to its owners,it probably enjoyed the trip in the car and running around our garden with our dalmation.

merely intrigued... why did YOU _have_ to drive THEIR dog back to them?

I'd tell 'em where to come and get the bloody thing! And it has just stolen and eaten Sunday lunch's joint (meat I mean!) which will cost £25 to replace ;-0

didds

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    didds wrote:
    ,this happened 3 times and each time I had to drive it back to its owners,it probably enjoyed the trip in the car and running around our garden with our dalmation.

merely intrigued... why did YOU _have_ to drive THEIR dog back to them?

I'd tell 'em where to come and get the bloody thing! And it has just stolen and eaten Sunday lunch's joint (meat I mean!) which will cost £25 to replace ;-0

didds

When I rang the number on the collar I got no reply,twice,and the third time,they said they would be around as soon as they could(which was abit like waiting for the 9 o'clock meter reader to arrive who pitches up 3 hours later),so I was not going to waste time waiting.I wouldn't be as vindictive to charge for something that did not happen as I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around.