Home Chat General Chat

London Triathlon - 6th Aug

Comments

• swarrenswarren Posts: 6
    Hi peeps,

thanks for all the comments, I have to admit I was getting a bit down about the swim so much that I have binned it for this week. Yet after ready your encouragement and tips I feel that we have all gone through the same experience and its nice to know your not alone. Cheers and I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Stuart - am glad to hear you not throwing the towel - it can get a little frustrating for all of us at times - the swim is probably what most of people relish least in a tri regardless of how times they have raced. Nowhere in the BTS rules does it stipulate that crawl only must be used so if you want to mix it up a little between a few strokes say crawl & breast then no problem......doggy paddle might rasie a few smiles tho

go for it mate !!!!

madnurse (phil) [;)]
  • mgs76mgs76 Posts: 10
    Keep your chin up - I'm just starting out too and swimming is my weakest discipline of the three. I'm trying to go 4 times per week at the moment and in the pool I do my race distance very slowly, concentrating on an even stroke. It just takes time and practice that's all.... I'm even tempted to start 5 times per week, just to put in the practice.

I'm going to attempt my first open water swim in the sea in Brighton at the end of the month (weather permittin) once I have got my tri-suit. Maybe my relaxed, calm attitude will change then!!

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    For all those people that are worried about the race there is an article on www.runnersworld.co.uk about a bloke that went from couch potato to triathlete in only a few months. Please see below.
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Sorry for the second post but he is the link to story http://www.inspiredtorun.co.uk/2006/05/05/it-ain-t-over-till-its-over-/ there are loads of other good inspiring stories on there to get you going when you really don't want to.
  • rebborebbo Posts: 58
    to back up all the other messages - I did my first race of my first season last Sunday, a sprint. I was cr@pping myself about the swim, as I am a very weak swimmer. Did my confidence a world of good to not only get through it - but also see other competitors switching from crawl to breaststroke to backstroke (really) just to get through it.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    rebbo - was that the stratford Tri? It sounds bad but my confidence soared when I saw all the various "techniques" swimming and one poor chap walking in the first lane...I felt really bad for him as there was still along way to go...
  • RewRew Posts: 62
    Jojo,

I did my first Olympic last year at London. I had done the sprint the previous year and a few local pool swim tri's as well.

There are two things that I would suggest.

The first is be confident in your own ability. You are obviously a competitive sort and that alone will get you through. You will not allow yourself to fail.

The second is if the swim is giving you worries then take on this advice which was given to me on one of the London Triathlon swim camps.

At the start, when your in the water, look down the course and see where the turn is. Then take yourself to the furthest point along the start from the turn and if you have to ten metres from the line. You may have to swim an extra 50 metres but at the end of the day all the confident and fastest swimmers will want to get to the turn asap and if your in their they will not worry if you in your first or fiftith tri. So take yourself away from them. Swim with a bit of open water where the legs and arms are not flying and RELAX. Don't get flustered.

When you get out of the water and hear the crowd cheering and clapping it gives you a massive boost to get in to transition and get on the bike and overtake all the hard swimmers who's legs are now burning on the bike.

I'm doing it all again myself this year... and Windsor.....just done Blenheim Sprint yesterday...

The very best of luck to you.
  • swarrenswarren Posts: 6
    Eureka - have now managed to swim 200m without stopping, that's a big mile stone for me. Also have done 12 K's on my bike.

I have finally listened to the advice on the swim about slowing down and trying to relax more. It seems to have paid off. I also got some inspiration by watching the Blenhiem Tri, espicially all the first timers out there. Could not believe they had to build a steep bridge at the begining of the run stage. I know they had no choice but man was that cruel. I find I cant walk let alone run after my bike training.
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Stuart

Now you have completed 200m in one go it will be easy to complete 400 then 800 just rememeber the same principles - relax.

David
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Have to confess I'm now slightly worried about London, I've done 1500m before, but it was in a pool in a wetsuit and I was fresh and didn't have to do anything afterwards.

On Sunday I did Crystal Palace (great event) and that was 750m which nigh on killed me (had a panicy moment when I had to ask my arms a second time to haul me out of the water) so it is off to the pool on a more regular basis and build up the distances some more!!
    HI all - wondered how things are going for those doing London - I know quite a few are

madnurse
    Yeah going well... Think I am gonna finish now 3 weeks to Ironbridge (first open water tri) then 3 weeks to London after that

yes that right folks its only six weeks...

we need to hatch a plan (pick a pub) in which we can annoy our other half's with our post race excitement

you'll finish no problem ..... you pride wont let you do otherwise ... is a sheltered swim only 100 in each start wave ... nice flat bike (apart from a few tunnels) with closed roads and a flat run ..... through finish pick up t-shirt / bike / wife & straight to said pub ... jobs a good un !!!!!!

mad !!!
    Excellent...can't wait as it happens...Although I am training hard I havn't given it as much time as maybe would have liked but then I am not doing it 2 win so that doesn't matter really

Did you feel like a nutter when you rocked up to your pool in your wetsuit?

loonytoon wrote:

Did you feel like a nutter when you rocked up to your pool in your wetsuit?

the obvious answer has to be ..no more than usual

but get swimming in ya suit asap & as often as you can.. preferably open water (no the bath doesnt count)... it will help. a pool is useful but it wont prepare you for current, waves, being drowned by other swimmers, swan poo, duck poo, other poo, desiel, weed, crisp packets, dead fish, swimming in a straight line without lane markers.... or moored pleasure cruisers that seem to get in the way.

I simply cannot wait for London ... am buzzing my little face off ... this is pure addiction ... garlic bread aint the future .....give me a line of tri everytime !!!!!!!!!!

madness prevails

ps oh yeh how was ur holiday
    London seems age away but it isn't now which is well cool...

yeah hopefully I will get in a club open water swim then Ironbridge that a couple more club openwaters before London...

did some sighting in the sea at Barca...as a distraction from football, drinking and sunbathing - assuming that the sea and wetsuit give similar bouyancy they it went well.

As you can probably tell from the above the holiday was cool ta...(delayed and rerouted flights on the way home were not however)

• MeadoMeado Posts: 17
    I'd just like to say that reading this post has really spurred me on. I've just got back from from the pool where i've just been practicising for the London Triathlon. I'm still finding the swimming my the hardest part and after tonights effort, it was a real downer. My swim time is going to be rubbish. I've made the leap from running (i've done a few marathons, a load of half marathons and more 10km than i can remember) to doing a traithlon.

I really felt like throwing in the towel on the way home tonight, but after watching that clip about the Ironman it has really made me more determined to do the London Triathlon. Maybe it was not the best idea to enter a Olympic distance for my first one, but what the hell. I will get round, i know it.

The swimming is the only thing that i am really worried about, i just seem so slow. What sort of time should i be aiming for on the swim, or what time do do you guys on here manage to swim the Olympic distance in?

• CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Meado,

The best bit of advice I can offer for London is enjoy it. swim well within yourself & don't worry about the distance.

My gf is also doing the Oly as her first ever Tri, it's no easier or harder than any sprint just longer. You're an experienced runner, so imagine the whole effort at the same level as a 1/2 marathon, working but comfortable & you'll be fine.

To all you guys doing London, I'll be on the sidelines howling encouragement to you all :-)
    Meado ... dont worry mate ... I did my first olympic last weekend (at Chester) and despite worrying about it managed the swim (albiet in 37 mins) I still then managed to finish well under the 3 hour mark (2'39 to be more accurate) which goes to show us runners can hold our own in this odd sport that is tri even if we aint gifted with gills n propellers as some seem to be. so you go for it and big time. maybe catch you for a beer after london oly with the loon and few others off here???

madnurse (phil)
    2:39 - nice one... now as I expect 37(ish) minutes for my swim... I need to work on summat to win that beer...

it can only get better ..... my swim n transitions need work but all is not lost ... i can already see the guinness being poured fom the pump hmmmmmmmmm
    I think a system to grading should be introduced...where there is a second allowed for every £ difference in the cost of out bikes wetsuits and ages...

So my bike 72quid

Age 29

Wetsuit £200... though its hired

oh I get an extra allowance as you where a PT which makes you almost bionic

ermmm ... NO
    arse...

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Nice try though :D
    [:(] - Can't unstand why it didn't work only the bike costs are in my favour [;)]
    [:)][:)] - you are quite welcome - [:D][:D]
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    hi guys

Have been reading all the posts with interest! My preparation for the London Tri (Olympic distance) has been coming on well.

My shin splints have gone - triple hooray - but I would say I'm still not quite back to running the same as was say 3 months ago but I reckon I'll be fine - am running up to about 8k at the moment in nearly 40 mins but it seems to take my legs slightly longer to recover (is this normal).

Have also been doing some brick sessions - cycling say 20 k then 5 k run and also doing say 50 mins on the stepper then running 5 k plus lots of rowing to begin with. Haven't been doing huge amounts of cycling but using the bike whenever I can and been doing the distance at the gym and have done a 50k ride a few weeks ago so I know I can do it.

Swimming - regularly doing about 2400 per session - can do 1500m with a rest then 1500m in the pool but going to hopefully do another open water swim as its a whole different story then.

So all in all am hoping I'll be ok and this will be the whole start of my triathlon addiction. Training at least 4 times a week sometimes more just still mega paranoid about hurting my leg again.

Looking forward to seeing you all there

Jojo