Home Chat General Chat

Homemade Isotonic/Electrolyte drinks

Basically, how much sugar and salt do I put in my drink (500ml).....?

I remember this being in an issue of 220 but must have thrown it away as I have been through all the issues I have and nada in them!

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    yes. Im getting the vibe from your message that im totally off the mark......

Im sure it was in 220.
  • benjobenjo Posts: 14
    I had a go at making my own a couple of years ago.

Take my advise - never, never, never make your own!

I ended up putting too much salt in, and spending most of the run retching from it. I feel sick if I think about it even now. But then, I'm crap at following instructions. I'm sure you'd do a better job than me!

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I'm not sure why anyone would want to make their own drink? Cost? Knowledge of the ingredients?

Companies like SIS, Powerbar, Lucozade etc spend millions in R and D on these drinks. I'm sure that you could make a drink (of sorts) but its not going to be as honed as, lets say SIS PSP22 is it?? and would you use it in a race, I wouldnt!! Anything from olympic, 70.3 or full ironman distance races and your gonna need pukka fueling to keep going, a bottle of Ribena with some salt and sugar aint gonna cut it.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    we make up electrolytes for the horses but use Lo-salt as it has higher levels of potassium and apple sauce - having said that whilst they love the stuff I wouldn't want it [:D]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I made my own using a combination of lo salt, normal salt, fuctose and normal sugar, and some glutamine.

worked a treat! I loved it! seemed to work as well as my regular drinks.
    MG wrote:

I'm not sure why anyone would want to make their own drink?  Cost?  Knowledge of the ingredients?

Companies like SIS, Powerbar, Lucozade etc spend millions in R and D on these drinks.  I'm sure that you could make a drink (of sorts) but its not going to be as honed as, lets say SIS PSP22 is it?? and would you use it in a race, I wouldnt!!  Anything from olympic, 70.3 or full ironman distance races and your gonna need pukka fueling to keep going, a bottle of Ribena with some salt and sugar aint gonna cut it.

Cost and convenience are the main reasons.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Don't be so tight, buy less junk food and spend what you save on a decent sports drink
    Junk Food? I can assure you that your diet will be no where as near as good as mine. Home cooked food every night, not a single frozen meal or junk food included.

Isotonic/Electrolyte drinks are expensive. If I need to buy them, if making my own isn't an option, then I will.... I just thought it was possible to make something up at home. Perhaps i was wrong.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    No your diet is not as good as mine .... the peeing contest has started!
    I won't get dragged into it. im sure i could pee further though...
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    How many do you drink? I don't bother for most training, usually only for long bike rides, also for races. Otherwise I figure I should have enough carbs and everything else in my system from my normal diet and I drink water. I do drink a recovery drink, though you can more easily make recovery drinks or food up at home.
    I only do use it for long sessions or long intense sessions. Not for the day to day training I do. Ill buy a tub of SiS mix or something.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Jeese you guys dont be so dramatic

Sports drink - fior hydration not so much energy - squash.. with a pinch of salt to taste.... tis all you need.

if you wanted to add some carbs chuck a serving of smoothie in there also.
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Tescos started doing SIS range in Ireland. Was a nice surprise [8|]