Home Chat General Chat

Using a turbo trainer in a flat

Does the noise travel a lot? Will my new neighbours be annoyed with me very soon?

What's the best way to deaden the vibration?

Are the mats they sell really that good? they certainly cost a lot!

What are the alternatives?

Lots of questions, thanks in advance!

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Im in a flat. My CycleOps is fine and quiet.... so should be fine. Get a mat or something to put it on though.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    they will definitely hear it in the room below, whatever you do, I have tried everything. The only way you can really do it is by getting an expensive fluid one.
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    I have a Minoura VFS150 and use it in my flat, it is very quiet and the vibration is minimal. I do not use any form of mat as i thought they were over priced. I guess it mainly depends on the quality of flooring/ceiling, I live in a purpose built flat and have carpet down.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I just use a cheap "yoga/pilates" mat from Tesco. Cost about a fiver.

If you have wooden floors and people below, and want to do it at some ungodly hour of the morning, your neighbours will kill you. The floor will act as a sounding board. Do you have a balcony?

It's another hidden cost of tri - a new detached house...
  • GrayGray Posts: 2
    I too use the 'Tesco Turbo mat'! Works well,

I use the cycleops fluid and I can train while my girlfriend sleeps in the room next door, or she'll complain that the dvd is too loud! Never had any complaints from the neighbours. If its a modern flat it should be fine.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i live in a flat and train on my cycleops fluid 2 at 5 every morning no complaints from the neighbours and we are friendly with them so they would complain if there was a noise problem. we've got wooden floors but i stick a folded over double bit of carpet underlay under the turbo and bike so no noise is transmitted. i got the underlay from the local carpet shop for free as it was a cutoff section they couldnt use. also stops the sweat from ruining our lovely oak floor!
  • we have a tacx sirius trainer, and it wasn't noisy but the vibration was a problem even on carpet (think I read on another thread its something to do with floor construction in some flats) - no-one complained but you could hear it in the communal hallway, so bought a minoura mat which seems to have helped. we also don't train on it before 7am or after 7pm just in case....
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Can anyone recommend a trainer to buy. One with some computer feedback? Been looking on CYCLESUPERTORE and WIGGLE not sure what I should be looking for. Do i need computer feedback?[8D]

Triathlon is a hole in my pocket (still love it though)
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    not much further... wrote:

we have a tacx sirius trainer, and it wasn't noisy but the vibration was a problem even on carpet (think I read on another thread its something to do with floor construction in some flats) - no-one complained but you could hear it in the communal hallway, so bought a minoura mat which seems to have helped. we also don't train on it before 7am or after 7pm just in case....

This is the trainer I have, like you say it doesn't make loads of noise, it's the vibration.

Been using my girlfriends yoga/pilates mate too. Was considering a camping roll mat as they're a bit thicker, but also a lot cheaper than a specific turbo training mat.

Just heard from my landlady that the woman below has mentioned that the washing machine is vibrating the floor quite a lot, guess that'll be my trainer then!

Oops

• oh well - at least they think its that rather than a turbo (they might be more sympathetic about a washing machine!) I wasn't sure how much you might need to spend to get a turbo that would be really super quiet (I suspect in a flat you'd risk hearing all of them). When I bought the mat, I did discuss with the shop that I could return it if it didnt help with the vibration as it seemed like a lot of money, but it has helped. Sure I read on another forum about strengthening the floor under the turbo, which seemed a bit major for me....
    I have since realised that the area in the living room that I put the trainer is directly on top of some slightly creaky floor boards.

Think I'll try a new location tonight.

• good luck - as if the whole turbo thing isn't bad enough without worrying if anyone is disturbed by it!