Home Chat General Chat

Swim Advice

Hey all,

I am not the best swimmer. THere is a pool at my gym (20m). The problem is I cant seem to get a rhythm going. Anytime I do, I reach the end of the 20m pool and I have to start again. There is a 50m pool about 25 minutes away which I might go to soon.

My technique is improving, but it takes a few strokes to get going with it. Is the 50m the way to go, or should I don my wetsuit and hit the sea side.

:)

IK[:@]

Comments

• you should goto an olympic size pool ideally i think. 20m? i dont think i could get a rythm on that..that would be about 3 breaths then turn around.
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Ok,

Is there anything I can work on in the 20m?

IK
  • looking good . . .Chatting up girls :P
    Sounds good. [;)]
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    If you're intending to only do open water swims then maybe just do drills in the pool, but if you're going to do Aquathons or sprint distance which is mainly pool based etc then (unless you can do them) practise tumble turns - I have a free use of a 16m (don't ask me why it only 16m!) pool and that is what I'm intending on doing......
    If you're intending to only do open water swims then maybe just do drills in the pool, but if you're going to do Aquathons or sprint distance which is mainly pool based etc then (unless you can do them) practise tumble turns - I have a free use of a 16m (don't ask me why it only 16m!) pool and that is what I'm intending on doing......

Hi Graham,

All my triathlons are open water based. Minimum of 500m up to olympic distance.

What drills would you recommend.

IK
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    Hi

there are a couple of things about swimming outside compared to in a pool, the first is to make sure you get used to is the start from deep water. The second is the bun fight at the start.

But on the training side make sure you try and do more in a bigger pool than the 20 metre one , if posiable try swimming outdoors

But as for a program, if you can swim 1500 metre comfortably , it's all about speed then try training using 400 metre paced swim and do a couple and try and improve your time each time , but also make sure you have a short rest maybe 20 to 30 seconds
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Alright there

Might be worth checking if you are doing pool based sprints whether tumble turns are allowed. I've started using a open turn/touch turn whichever you want to call it, and I find it pretty quick. Never really tried tumble turns as I'm worried I'll either miss the side completely, or smash my ankles on the pools edge. I also think the touch turn is a lot less disruptive to other swimmers. Okay, okay, I'm just jealous 'cos I can't do tumble!!!

Anyway, there's a few threads on here about them (bopomofo gives some detail on the one below).

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=25283&mpage=1&key=open%2Cturn&#25316

There's also a few examples on youtube, so have a search on there.

• BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    A 25m is much much better the 5m makes a massive dofference - obviously 50m is better.. but if a 25m is nearer thats all you really need.
    Got to admit being an ex swimmer (international) tummble turns are a big plus point, while they are not easy to master as soon as you do they can knock seconds of your time and make you times look impressive.

As for the size of the pool , while a 20 m pool is not good it better then nothign and also help with learning turns. I trained in a 20 m pool , but made sure I did one swim a week in a bigger pool .

But love open water swimming know and find it far easier than pool swimming
    Thanks to all..

I am only an hour from the Irish Sea so I can head there at weekends. I have a swimming partner so it should be fine.

There are plenty of lakes within an hour, and also the town where my first tri on only 5 miles away (Canal Swim) so I could also head there.

I think Ill go to the 50 m pool this week. For some reason there is a severe shortage of pools in my area.. Ive found some but they're tiny 4 x 20m and 3 x 15m !!!!!.

I have 6 weeks to train for 500 m swim.. I should be ok though...

IK
    As for the size of the pool , while a 20 m pool is not good it better then nothign and also help with learning turns. I trained in a 20 m pool , but made sure I did one swim a week in a bigger pool .

I wont have to worry about the tumbles thank god.. I tried one before and burst my knee of my chin.. Nothing like seeing underwater stars [:(]
    the only time I damaged myself was on a deck level pool , but thankfully wasn't to bad . But know people who have broken their ankles
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    ironkav wrote:
    I am only an hour from the Irish Sea so I can head there at weekends. I have a swimming partner so it should be fine.

so which side of the sea are you lurking? Need someone to do some open water swimming with an I'm 30 mins from the Irish sea cept out bit is called Cardigan bay[:D]
    so which side of the sea are you lurking? Need someone to do some open water swimming with an I'm 30 mins from the Irish sea cept out bit is called Cardigan bay
    Hey

I am on the ireland side of the Irish sea.[&:]

just living outside Dublin City.