Home Chat General Chat

Isn't planning and preparation wonderful?

No real point to this thread, other than for me to sound smug. [:D]

When I spec'ed and bought my bike last year I did a lot of measuring of my existing bike - using rulers & tape measures, photographs and the computer to work out exactly what was wrong with my seating position. Turns out from looking at the pics that it was a little bit short along the top tube and stem.

Anyway, by using maths and trigonometry I ordered my Dolan Mythos completely untried and unridden. Guess what? Perfect fit.

I also made sure that when I did the measurements there was enough room in the adjustments to take a forwards seat-post and to drop the bars and move them forwards a bit, so rotating my entire body about the bottom bracket. Just like we're meant to. To do this I had to go to LBS with a ruler and surreptitiously measure some Profile T2 Wing base bars to see how much they added to the reach.

Anyway, once I had finally collected the parts together - T2 Wing bars, s-bend extensions for my Profile Jammers, Dura-Ace bar-end shifters and some Blackwell Research brake levers for a fiver on flea-bay and sundry cables and cable ends - it was time to start.

End result, a road-bike to TT bike conversion that actually works. My back is nearly flat, seat post angle effective is a measured 80 degrees and it was comfortable as soon as I jumped on it. Need to go out and do a shake-down and final set-up ride now, but the adjustments will be minimal.

That's it, really. A lot of thought and pre-planning has resulted in a great set-up and a bike I would not have otherwise been able to afford. I'm allowing myself a bloody great big smug grin and a hearty slap on the back. In all aspects of triathlon, preparation is everything.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that! Here's a pic of the finished beauty:

[image]local://1140/4D15282F296445DCB19C0EFBF6F599EE.jpg[/image]

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Ahem.. <whisper>It's not actually that red</whisper>
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    LOL - no you're right no red carbon!

Are those Mavic cosic Elites - if so what are they like?

Next year I'm getting a carbon frame - it's either the Dolan or Boardman......
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Its just the lighting, guys... it is actually VERY dark red. So dark it is in fact almost black. Only an amateur would think it was black.

Sorry Conehead, the wheels are the weak spot currently. They're actually bum basic Mavic Aksium Race. To ge honest, from what I've read I was expecting to have snapped a spoke by now, especially with the frame being so bloody stiff. No problems so far, though. My next purchase will be some decent aero wheels, but I will be more than happy to keep the Mavics until then, and to use them as training and rough road wheels thereafter.

More important than any of that, though, is that I should really get over this cold and get loads of miles in.
  • Thanks Bopo,

I went for a proper bike fitting last week and they told me that I needed a forward seat post. Didn't have a bloody clue what they were talking about and as I ordered a new bike anyway, didn't really care.

Having seen the picture, NOW i know what they were talking about. As I'm keeping hold of the old bike, will change the seatpost once I have recovered from the expense of the new bike.
  • cloudsclouds Posts: 1
    Nice job. Well done

Bopomofo wrote:
    I also made sure that when I did the measurements there was enough room in the adjustments to take a forwards seat-post and to drop the bars and move them forwards a bit, so rotating my entire body about the bottom bracket.

In general do you think that this means going for a slightly smaller bike? Say if you are on the fence between two sizes would you be better going for the smaller one so that you'd be able to get the drop and fit the fast forward seat post?
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    It's a beauty! Love the funky seatpost.

Good job, very nice, enjoy your hard work and hunt down those PBs....

blurredgirl

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Snapped a spoke?? On mavic Aksiums??! THEYRE BOMB PROOF!!!

Seriously, I use these wheels for commuting, training etc...Ive given these wheels TONNES of abuse, pot holes like bomb craters down The Old Kent Road. They still run as true as the day they were made, awesome wheels!!

In general do you think that this means going for a slightly smaller bike?

Can't answer that, I'm afraid. I got to the stage where I was stressing about the fact that my maths & measurements said I needed a 115mm stem, and my choices were 110 or 120! If anything I would go for the larger size, as moving the seat forwards to compensate would steepen the effective angle which appears to be a good thing. Not certain though. My maths has worked for me.... maybe I just got lucky!

Snapped a spoke?? On mavic Aksiums??! THEYRE BOMB PROOF!!!

Yeah, it seems that way so far. I was just a bit worried because I'd read some older reports of the blade spokes shearing off at the rim, but I think that was a duff batch. I'm always a bit nervous because I'm quite heavy (86kg) and on the occasions that I do stand up and wring its neck I realise I've been swimming for too long, I'm too heavy in the shoulders and I'm quite good at bending front wheels. [:@] No problems so far, very happy with the wheels and a comfy ride. Not sure if the 'Race' designation makes a difference either.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    nice one bopo, well done. sure looks good. very tasty indeed!

as for going for a smaller frame, think it depends on your morphology. long legs, short torso you would go for a smaller frame, short legs long torso, go for the larger frame. i'm happy to be correced if thats wrong but thats the way i understand it
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Looks nice [8D]
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    oh wait, on slowtwitch it's the norm to be as critical and horrible as possible. so mow your lawn and paint your fence (had to say that as i think your bike is ace[:)])
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Oooh! A Dolan! Very impressive. Nice to see as well that you've got proper cycling bottle cages and none of that I'll-keep-my-bottle-at-the-front-where-I-can-see-it business.......
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    MG wrote:

Seriously, I use these wheels for commuting, training etc...Ive given these wheels TONNES of abuse, pot holes like bomb craters down The Old Kent Road. They still run as true as the day they were made, awesome wheels!!

yes - it doesn't really get any worse than the Old Kent Road does it - it's like a slalom course trying to dodge the potholes
    @Juleso: true, but you have reminded me to remove the rear bottle cage now that we're getting out of loooong slow distance training and getting ready to race.

Not sure about them bar-mounted bottle thingies.... I've heard so many people talk about them splashing and also it is hard to slurp the water out when it starts to get low.

It probably slows me down by a few seconds, but I quite like grabbing the bottle and sitting up in the seat for a sec, just for a breather.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Nice job Bopo![;)]