Home Chat General Chat

Help-Rookie needs help on bike sizing!!

Guys, I want to buy a bike to replace my wonderful but limited giant but I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how one determines the right frame size. I am somewhat squat at 5ft 3 and a bit and would appreciate any tips on what I should be measuring ie legs, wingspan etc.

All advice gratefully absorbed..

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Get yourself down to your LBS (Local Bike Shop). They should advise. Of course, it might be worth asking if your LBS is any good! - or there are some good ones near you.

it's very hard to tell without actually seeing/trying.

A good bike fitting is just like an expensive dress fitting!
  • Cheryl,

Depending on how much you are going to spend on a new bike, there are a couple of options.

I have just gone through the same dilemma. In the end, due to the amount I was spending on a new bike, I decided to go for a full proper three hour bike fit. This cost me £120 but they have sized me up for the perfect fit for the new bike and also changed the settings on my old bike to fit it as best as possible. I'm still waiting for the new bike, but the old one now feels twenty times more comfortable than it originally did.

The second option is to find a bike shop that does a standard bike fitting. I believe that they measure your reach, inside leg, etc and put it into a computer that then works out the correct size for you. I have seen this advertised for about £25. Dont know anything else about this as have never had it done, but obviously it is the much cheaper option.

As Jack says, I'd also ask around and find out if any of the LBS's are any good before you go. I've heard a couple of stories where the shop will tell you anything just to get the sale.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    @Cheryl...Mate, go and get a fitting done and if you're lucky he might feel your leg....Happened to me. I bought the bike!

When times are hard, gotta get your kicks where you can!

Has it occurred to you yet that all our posts are along the same vein...? lol

We're cheeky scamp's arent we. Are you sure we're taking this sport seriously??!!
  • I have to say Jess, having read a few of your posts, yes, you do seem to keep coming back to the same subject. Maybe its that you dont have a race to concentrate on and your mind keeps wandering.......
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Jesster, thank you for your valuable advice. Of course we are taking this sport seriously, its the only thing that keeps us fit for chasing down that elusive Mr Right!

Liking the idea of the bike sizing thing-back to the epliator!!
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    She is a monkey isn't she? How does she get away with it??? I blame it on inhaling too much permanent marker pen.....