Home Chat General Chat

London Triathlon - 6th Aug

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Jo

Great to here the shins splints have cleared up and you have been able to run again..

The swiming and biking seem to go going great guns..

Keep it up - it aint long now

el loony
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I can only bow my head in shame, late work efforts and general lack of motivation have hampered training, plus I've been scepticle about training before going on a lads weekend to Warsaw. All in all have decided once I return afresh I need to pull my finger out and start training seriously again if I'm to stand a hope of even crawling out of the water.

As to meeting up are there any plans? I'm not sure what is hapeening regarding family at the moment (I have a 0630 start time; cant tell you how happy that made me![:'(]) so everything is a bit up in the air. If they decline to come, and who can blame especially with a young girl, I'll defintely be up for a meet/drink!
    BonusB - don't there are any plans as such yet

When did you get your start time?

I haven't recieved an official one yet, just the Race information hand book and it has the groupings in there.

For ref:

M Oly 17-24 & 25-29 = 0630

M Oly 25-29 G2 & 40-44 G1 = 0700

M Oly 40 - 44 G2 = 0730

F Oly <25 & 35+ = 0800

F Oly 25-34 = 0830

M Sub 2:30 = 0910

F Sub 2:30 = 0915

Mix oly g1 = 1140

mix oly g2 = 1210

male open oly g1 = 1240

male open oly g2 = 1310

M oly 45+ = 1340

m oly 35-39 g1 = 1410

m oly 35-39 g2 = 1440

m oly 30-04 g1 = 1510

m oly 30-34 g2 = 1540
    ah nice one...

6:30 or 7 for me that mean race day brekky at 3:30 christ I am gonna get shot

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I really want a crack at this. Even though I have never done any open water swimming.

So if anybody knows of anybody who wants to sell there place. If that is allowed?

• MeadoMeado Posts: 17
    Hi guys,

Hope training is all going well. I must admit that this is turning out to be one of the hardest things i've done in a while. I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I have a couple of questions for you, i hope you'll be able to offer some advice. Is it worth getting some proper cycling shoes for the bike, i have toe clips at the moment that are working fine. Is it worth investing in a proper pair of shoes even though i'm not going to be using cleats?

My second question is about punctures on the big day. I'm almost paranoid now about getting a puncture and what should i do? Do you just retire or attempt to fix it on the route? I've had a couple of punctures while out training which resulted in a long walk home. Do you carry a pump and repair kit?

I hope you'll be able to help me. I've got my first open watre swim on saturday down at the Regatta Centre, any advice before i take the plunge?!!
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI Meado ... you'll be fine esp when you get there and the adrenaline kicks in . As for punctures most poeple will be carrying some form of repair kit and a pump ... i now tend to carry 2 inner tubes, some will opt for mini Co2 cannisters instead of a pump. If at all possible fix it, at least that way you'll finish. Actual cycle shoes will work best with cleats & clipless pedals giving you max pedalling pressure thru to the drive mech'. As to how much you get get using them wich clipped pedals will be somewhat less & I think defeats the pooint of the clip pedal which enable you to run straight off the bike in your trainers.

Your training will pay offf come London and am confident you will fly round - races are won and lost in training and throgh adequate recovery not through actaul competition. Be sure of your goals and work towards them. If you can swim, bike & run just over each distance you will be fine. Consider doing some brick work (if you not already) ir back to back sessions swim straight into bike, bike into run or however you want to mix it up. It will come good. & we'll see you for a pint after you finish !!!

madnurse Phil

From bounsB's list above do the elites go off in the sub 2:30 group?
    No sorry I was being lazy. There are elite waves at some point. Just before lunch I think.
    cool cheers hopefully I will be finished by then and will beable to watch
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    hi guys

scary - I got my race number etc etc

Did a 45 min run today - about 8 k - which considering I'm still recovering from my shin splints is quite good. Was also meant to go to my Tri club but when I got to the leisure centre there was a huge queue outside full of small kids. They only went and closed the pool for a swimming gala or something which was quite annoying.

Apart from that not much else to report - still training hard - 2 rides, 2 swims (about 2800m) and one run and mini brick session as well as weights and rowing this week but I know I'm not going to be a front runner - but like you loon - hoping to be able to watch the elites and meeting the family for lunch so hope I'll be finished by then!

I go off at 8 or 8.30 am

Jojo
    yep got my race number saturday 2 - off at 6:30am
  • MeadoMeado Posts: 17
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for the advice, i'll be carrying a couple of spare innertubes with me on the day. The open water swim session went well i think. I'm going to do a couple more before the big day just to put my mind at rest.

It'll be good to meet up for a drink afterwards. Let me know where you're all going to be and i'll see you in there.
    Hi Jason - there is a guy at Chester Tri who is now selling his place " .....Male Open Olympic category with the start at 13.10 . I paid £75 but I would accept £40 if anyone would like take my place." I have his email address if you still fancy a go at the oly

phil
    Jojo... there is a really good time fastest I have managed 8k is about 50mins and I haven't had shin splints you seem to have recovered fully (if not fully most of the way there)

I don't make it back to watch the elites i'll be in trouble as they go about 4hrs after I set off...

loon - you will be back in within that time easily ... in fact am sure you will go sub 3 hours & be showered and "with pint" by time elites go off .. if only i could be as lucky ....
    Thanks madnurse, I have now emailed him.

no problem Jason - let us know if you get sorted !
    Yeah I am fairly sure I'll be back...

Open water sprint this weekend as final prep for the big day...also changed the chain and cassette on my bike last night and tri bars will be added before the weekend (though probably not used)

What time are you off?

if i stay in my age group .. then am off at 14:40 (what kind of time is that)
    I think you are gonna fry...

Afternoon27 °c24 °c70 mm0 %[image]http://www.metcheck.com/IMAGES/GENERIC/ICONS/WIND/ENE.gif[/image]12 mph

Its the kinda time my wife would like she is kinda miffed at the 6:30 start for London and Ironbridge this weekend is a late one at 7:45

marginal improvement ...not being able to do much about my age so i have blagged a place in the mixed olympic group 1 which starts at 11:40 still gonna fry but will finish much earlier ... in time for a few at the bar with you n the rest not forgetting mrs mad n mrs loon .... might even make a late lunch if i push the turbo boost

seriously cant wait

madnurse (phil)
    Hmmm cant wait can you?

I'm definately not feeling so het up about it at the moment. I did a local 10k last night, really thrashed myself, to day I can barely move. All of a sudden I'm wondering how its going to feel after 1500m swimming and 40km bike [8D]

Should be a good test though! Either way I'll be needing a beer!
    nice one nurse.....

I don't think its gonna take much to get us leggless after that sorta effort

HI Jo ... try to put your nerves to one side and let your training & successes come through instead .. you have put in so much & overcome even more .. am sure many of us have done similar .. injuries, work n family issues but still stuck at the tri .... it kind of keeps a balance of things and helps keep things in perspective not to mention a huge buzz factor esp when racing. It will come together for you and in such a way I am confident will make you hungry for more .... you helped me when i thought my shin splints might ruin my training the way you stuck at it I just hope maybe something on here has spurred you on a little ...

madnurse

(if you cant build a better world ... build a better you !!!!!!!!)
  • swarrenswarren Posts: 6
    Wow to all the Olympic nutters out there. You have certainly put me to shame, only doing the super sprint. Yet for my level of fitness this has been tough. Only started getting fit at the start of the year. Hated the water, overcome fear of drowing and a little closterphobic, now I am swimming in the sea off Clacton where I can't even see my hand in the water and don't mention the current. And yes I want more. What ever distance or level of fitness this pushes you to the limit, so well done to all. Its good to look back and see where we have all come from.

Later I am going to get back on the trusted steed and practice transition and drinking while moving, should be interesting, probably ride straight into a car or something whilst getting or replacing the bottle. Not sure about the bike shoes, I have them, but there is no way I am going to try and attach them to the pedal, hop on and then slip my feet in while cycling. So does any one know, if you can run with them in hand, get to the mount on zone, put your shoes on and then ride off. I am assuming this will not be allowed due to conjestion and safety reasons. Sounds stupid I know, but I dont fancy walking in them from the bike rack to the mount on zone. Any tips on this would be greatly received.

Well I have waffled on so bye for now, and happy training to all, keep smiling
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Swarren

Regarding the T1 shoes on bike question. It depends on the transition flooring if it is slippery you don't want to be running in bike shoes but otherwise it is fine, just like stillettos (i assume)[;)] (no i haven't had my legs shaved yet).

Shoes on bike is only good if you are practised at it and if the transition exit is relatively flat.

I would assume that you could run to exit with shoes and then get dressed but you would be slower.(holding bike and putting shoes on at same time) and as you say may cause congestion.

David
    I decided not to enter and buy the ticket available to me.

But I hope you all have a really good day, and good luck.

dunno if this of interest to anyone .. spotted it on ebay just ... for the london olympic

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michelob-ULTRA-London-Triathlon-2006-Entry_W0QQitemZ290008885091QQihZ019QQcategoryZ310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

madnurse