Home Chat General Chat

Advice for a newbie, please...

I'm taking part in the Warwick Aquathlon on Saturday - it's my first attempt at anything like this and I'm fretting a bit about the transition, so would welcome any suggestions or advice on how to make sure I get through it as quickly and painlessly as possible!

Thanks in advance...

BTW, does anyone know if I'll have to haul my a55 out of the pool or will be able to use the steps? [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Stick a towel on the floor with all your stuff on it and dry your feet a bit while you put on your t-shirt/number/shorts, if you dont have a tri-suit (you'll have been swimming in your swimming costume i assume)

have you been training without socks? if not you'll have to pull on socks before your trainers and this can be a bit fiddly. Now have a quick swig of your drink, big deep breath, and out on the run you go. (waving to your mates if you're anything like me!)

Just enjoy it and have some fun.

Oh, and practice hauling your butt out of the pool, you'll probably have to on the day...see Bopomofo's comments on the best way to do this based on various walrus impressions....

I hope this helps [:)]
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Limeycat wrote:

BTW, does anyone know if I'll have to haul my a55 out of the pool or will be able to use the steps? [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Drop the event organiser an email and ask them. They're usually happy to answer questions like these. The last pool tri I did finsihed in the shallow end and there were granny steps in my lane, which nobody seemed to mind me using!

Get some elastic laces and if the run is 5k, dont wear socks. Lube the bits of your trainers that might rub and you should be fine.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    call me dumb but I've been reading this for ages and thinking what is an a55 - and then like a 100 watt bulb turning on I got it ASS! can't you say ass on the forums - we'll see if it gets edited!

I would definately email and ask, they are normally very helpfull.

I was the same this year with my first Aquathon, i was so wet which made my t-shirt a nightmare to put on......next time I'll do it in a trisuit, it should be much easier.

Good luck by the way! [:D]
  • LimeycatLimeycat Posts: 29
    Thanks for the tips folks... much appreciated! Will try and remember everything; hopefully panic won't send my mind TOO blank [&:]

Coupla further things:

I've been training without socks, but can feel that blisters are just about to come through on my insteps - should I risk it? What do you use to lube trainers, and where might I get elastic laces as Mowf suggests?

Anywho, I've just done a final (gentle!) swim and got lots of funny looks 'cos I wore my sports bra under my cossie (don't think anyone dared to ask if I'd forgotten to take it off!). I think wearing it is gonna add to my swim time 'cos of the drag factor - at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it - but I can't contemplate running without it... And I practised getting out of the pool - walrus is about right! [:D] I'll be OK if the pool is deck level, but if not I might be scuppered!

Will let you know how I get on...

Limeycat

graham33 wrote:

call me dumb but I've been reading this for ages and thinking what is an a55 - and then like a 100 watt bulb turning on I got it ASS! can't you say ass on the forums - we'll see if it gets edited!

Sorry for confusing you! I wasn't sure about the forum rules and didn't want to get banned on my first post. Having done a bit more looking round now, I think I'd be pretty safe tho [;)]

Well, I said I'd update with how I got on, so:

3rd fastest on the swim - yaaay!! [:D]

2nd slowest on the run - hmmmm [&:]

11th overall out of 14 - not great, but reasonably happy in the circumstances [:)]

Transition was fine but slow, as I decided to wear socks, as well as pull on leggings and a running top over my cossie (I sure as hell don't have the figure to run in a swimming costume!!)

Lessons learned:

1. Must practice getting out of pool when tired! Flopping onto the deck like a performing seal is not an attractive look.

2. Must warm up properly before the event - calves started cramping up after only about 200m, so the run was more of a hobble / walk. Which is embarrassing and means you risk being passed by people who are just out for a nice walk in the sun!

3. Must sort out what to eat / drink beforehand - pausing to retch (loudly) at the end of lap one of the run causes concern for marshalls and may lead them to start looking for the nearest St John's volunteer...

4. Must get over being described as a "veteran"; it's unavoidable at my advanced age.

But will I do it again? You betcha! I'm now going to start training in earnest for the Derby Sprint Tri in september. Thanks again for the tips so far - I'm sure more of my stupid questions will follow...

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Marvellous! Very Well Done. And now you have something to improve on [:)]
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Ah yes, the retching, shuffling performing seal look. A favourite of mine too....

Well done limeycat! [:)]
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Jesster wrote:

Ah yes, the retching, shuffling performing seal look. A favourite of mine too....

Well done limeycat! [:)]

yep that will be me in 3 weeks time

well done[:D]