Home Chat General Chat

My new Newtons

I'm pretty sure there has been a Newtons thread fairly recently, but couldn't find it.

So - I won a pair of Newtons and tried them out last night - short run as that's what they recommend, so I did the route that normally takes me around 34 minutes.

First impressions = very pretty (I'm a girl, so my head will always be turned by pale blue laces), nice fit (I like shoes that hug the forefoot a bit) and very, very light. The uppers are pretty much just mesh.

Walking around - felt like wearing very soft, very bouncy cleats. Weird.

Running - well I was feeling a bit pants yesterday, not ill, but stressed and headachy and so not on particularly good form, so wasn't surprised when it felt like I was just plodding around. The lugs felt strange, but very comfortable, could feel the energy in them and the shoes felt good - as good as my Supernovas.

When I finished my legs felt a bit tired - but they do warn you that you need to 'adjust' to the shoes, so that was OK. I felt as if I had run quite slow, I hadn't pushed it all as I felt a bit off and also because I didn't want to create a 'new shoes' injury. I'm stressing this - because imagine my surprise when I logged my time for the run.....and saw that I had taken a full 2 minutes off my fastest time for that route. Not seconds, but actual minutes - and without trying, or pushing or going for it.

So even if I don't wear them all my long runs - I will most definitley be racing in them!

Conclusion: I'm a very impressed and happy (Easter) bunny.

Thanks 220!

blurredgirl

Comments

• j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Thanks for the post Blurredgirl, I will definitely get a pair. How did you find the sizing? I am struggling to find a local shop who stock them so may have to buy on-line.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Excellent - i'd really like to try them, but the physio said I've got very little calfs for my frame size.......(talk about make you feel crap!)

so i'm not sure if i'll be suited to them because i'm a full on heal striker!

keeps us updated though on how the running improves!
  • I got some spare calf if you want it? got huge calfs from judo...nearly same size as my quads. got some spare belly and backend if you want that too?
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    How much do these bad boys usually retail for, anyone know?
    Got any size ten hips comanighttrain? [;)]
  • no but id like to try some on [;)]
    lol Scamp [sm=kiss.gif]
    Jesster wrote:

How much do these bad boys usually retail for, anyone know?

They go for about £112-130 I suppose thats the problem - a lot of money and if they don't work it'll be all wasted!

[color=#000000]comanighttrain[/color] I've got enough belly - I just need a transplant, thanks for the kind offer though!

Infact I'm starting running tomorrow after 5 weeks off due to injury - I'm sure i'll be in enough pain from my legs asking - 'what the hell are you doing to us!'

130 smackers? crikey, think i'll lose a couple of pounds first-a much cheaper way to get faster!
    Yeah I agree - I'm under 16 stone for the first time in 5 years! I am 6'3 which apparently makes me obese! might get a gastric band for my birthday!
    Pollacks! You look mighty fine from where i'm standing! Gastric band? Pfft!
  • yeah id take that with a pinch of salt. Apparantly im fat. 173 cm and weigh about 73 kilos. If your fit i dont think you can/should be classed as obese.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Apparently the ones I have retail at £120. So I'm dead chuffed to have won something both expensive and useful.

Sizing - they come up small, so go for a full size larger than your normal daywear shoes. I looked it all up before passing on what I wanted to 220 and saw that that's the recommendation. You need a good thumb's width in the toe area, and the lugs neeed to be right on the ball of the foot.

I'm a mid-foot striker with plenty of calf muscle, so they do actually suit me well. I chose the stabilty trainer and they provide a pretty decent degree of support.

I would never have forked out for them, have to say - but the difference they already seem to have made to my run times is pretty amazing.

blurredgirl
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    @Bluebirdgirl Firstly, Congratulations on winning them! Secondly, they do stability ones????? how does that work? I need quite stable running shoes do to pronating, and as a result have shied away from the newtons. How/where do they offer support? I'm intrigued
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Hi Md6 and thanks!

They do neutral and stability in both trainers and racers. I overpronate quite a lot, so was wary. I usually run in very stabilised Adidas Supernovas after a gait assessment session - so was pretty sceptical about the Newtons. However the level of support offered by the stability trainers equals that of my Supernovas - quite impressed by that and not what I was expecting.

If you're planning to fork out, it would be worth going to a proper shop to get a decent fit and have a go at running in them to see how they suit you.

blurredgirl
  • anyone know any articles on this running business?

I thought i just put one leg infront of the other and repeat . . maybe thats why im knackered after it

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    wow - 2 mins faster due to new trainers. Top effort.

Like you blurred_girl I need support trainers and will kep my eyes peeled for a shop that stocks Newtons and will give them a try out.

Calves of steel so should be OK (thanks to too much cycling over the years) ... unfortunately I swim like a stone and run like the guy who did the London marathon in a deep sea diving suit!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    @bluebirdgirl, thanks i will check them out now. just have to find somewhere that stocks them since my local running shop closed I don't know anywhere that does them. P.S - 2 minutes off your time is fantastic if I only get half that improvement I will be really shuffed!

@comanighttrain, it depends on what you want from your running but runners world has lots of helpful advice articles on the website. And there is plenty of stuff on forefoot running (or chi running) on you tube.
  • Hey read your story! Good going!

...you think 220 will send me anything for my "i seen the hot girls" story?...aside sympathy