Home Chat General Chat

220 this month - run performance

MowfMowf Posts: 272
And for that little pearl of wisdom they charge £4!!!!!!!!

You get better advice on this forum...........

Comments

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Does anyone else feel a little shortchanged by the run promise this month? They claimed to be able to reduce your 10k run time for an oly distance tri. Their method? Just run for 6 weeks and dont bother with the bike or pool. WHAT THE HELL SORT OF ADVICE IS THAT!?

Or am i being overly harsh?

The did redeem themselves with the bit about how to train on your commute. But still...
  • pippip Posts: 170
    We have a Decathlon sports shop in Stockport and can get all of the above at very reasonable prices.Its my fave shop in the whole world,mmmmmmmmm i`ve not been this week ,i feel a bank holiday trip coming on and it aint to the Lakes[:)]
  • Its a point well made. As I subscribe to 220 I have found this problem with a few of the "improvement" articles. So, unless you fit into one of the following two categories -

a) jobless

b) good enough to have sponsorship and not need to work,

then I cant see how anybody would have enough time to fit it swim, bike and run sessions.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    ConspiracyTheory wrote:

Its a point well made.  As I subscribe to 220 I have found this problem with a few of the "improvement" articles.  So, unless you fit into one of the following two categories -

a) jobless

b) good enough to have sponsorship and not need to work,

then I cant see how anybody would have enough time to fit it swim, bike and run sessions.

I thought I was the only one that thought that![:)]
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    jsut read the article and like you I agree we are suppose to be a multi sport events not runners, you should still be doing the biking and swimming so to keep your fitness level an speed up on them
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Thats what I have been thinking whilst attempting to shoehorn the Jack Daniels running thingy into my errr 'schedule'.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Welll... my 2p is I think you're all being overly harsh.

Its a plan to improve your 10K time. Pure and simple. The article doesn't say don't do any swim or bike... it just says 1 session a week of each. Neither does it say that it has to be done in May just as we would be building or even in peak (or in June or July etc ).

Its some ideas, that's all. I know nothing being still a newby in every sense of the word but the suggested sessions don;t really sound much different from a general run workout schedule, and the timings don;t seem excessive. I'll acknowledge the author's superior knowledge as a coach to me (!:-) but I can't see why more swimming couldn't be included especially being non impact. And (ditto caveat) the total run times don;t seem that much totalled up anyway.

I woud agree with many criticisms of 220 but would suggest (as a coach in rugby) that articles and advice like this etc need to have some pinches of salt taken with them to blend them with your own circumstances - nobody would seriously expect a level 8 club to adopt the all blacks trainng regimes, but elements of them can be useful. However, I would concur with the general dissatisfaction at times... the swim articles last year that suggested that Olympic distance tri swimmers would potentially be doing warm ups of 2000m before similar distances of drills and exercises was madness... WTF was he on? The pointless reviews of £5K bikes similarly... what use are they for the vast majority (surely?) of 220 readers except for glop factor? Race reports that tell you the bald statistics that are of absiolutely no interest to 99% of readers (McTaggart beats Flapjack blah blah blah) ? POintless recipes - does anybody cook them and use them - especially more than once? It is illuminating that in the month when Tri+ comes out and Triathlete's World has been going for a few months a reader's survey appears and even a last-minute thread on the boards here asking for race info ... just what triathlete's world has been offering!!!

Enough ranting. Gotta go and do my 10K regime now....

didds