Home Chat General Chat

Paranoia Ð are my tyres going down?

It might just be me but, does anyone else get paranoid that their tyres are going down while cycling?

I go through a mini cycle; rough road.. I start to think that my tyres are deflating.. hit a smooth bit.. no it’s ok .. then as soon as the road deteriorates I start thinking that they are going down.. I bounce a little to see if the rim hits the road and almost fall off trying to get a proper look at the wheel..

Am I just mental or does anyone else get this?

Scotty (possibly a nutter)

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It's normal. Especially at the point furthest from home. Or as you start up the biggest hill. You have to keep glancing back at the rear wheel to see if it really is going down.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    This is perfectly normal behavour. Punctures used to plague my journey to work (part of journey goes through, Eltham, lewisham, new cross and elephant and castle) as the roads were littered with glass, pot holes, bodies and general tyre shredding debris. I used to get at least 3 punctures a week (at least!!), record was 7 in 4 days, although a couple were my fault for not putting tube back in correctly!!

Now this was crap for my time keeping but great for my speedy tube replacement practice. Also got me obssesing about quality tyres, I use Conti Ultra Gatorskins, and have only had 1 puncture (tempting bloody fate here!!) in the many many miles I've used them. Quite honestly the best tyre if youre kept awake at night stressing about punctures!!

Unfortunatly they dont come in pink..............

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    It might just be me but, does anyone else get paranoid that their tyres are going down while cycling?

No, Scott. It's just you. And your tyres are going down. I can hear them... psssssssss.... down they go. They plan it. They are waiting for the most inconvenient time and then ... psssss.... off they go.

Shhhh! Quiet! Listen carefully.... can you hear them as well? Pssssssss... down they go. Even while you are sleeping they are deflating, or plotting their next time to deflate.

Hope this helps, mate. Happy training, and cheers!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Two points ...

1. Basic physics (Boyle's Law??) explains the relationship between Pressure, Temperature and Volume in gases. When you are cycling the wheels are moving, this movement causes an increase in temperature and providing you are using modern tyres/tubes/tubs the volume will not increse (significantly) so the pressure will increase. Therefore your tyres should get harder over the course of a ride (provided thre are no faults in your tyres/tubs/ tubes)

2. Laytex tubes under high pressure do leak. If you are using these then the pressure will have decreased and you need to pump them to the correct pressure before every cycle.