Home Chat General Chat

sizing tt bike

can anyone give some advise on purchasing the correct size tt bike. Have heard one should drop down a size from road bike. currently use a 56cm road bike. Got myself measured over the web and it came back with the same size tt bike ?

Comments

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    If you don't mind doing a bunch of reading, you can learn a lot about bike fitting from the slowtwitch.com guys. They make a real science of it, and explain everything pretty thoroughly. This might be a good place to start if you want to do it yourself and not through your LBS or a pro fitter:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Tour_de_Bike_Fit_649.html
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    well i use a 56cm road bike but i use a 54cm in tt however i would recommend you get measured up first as you measurement could be different from mine
  • 58fern58fern Posts: 9
    Danny, your right it is a lot of reading but I supose you have to start somewhere. obviously not a quick fix
  • If you have already decided on the make and model of bike you are going for then it would be well worth visiting at least two or three different shops to try out the sizes they have and see.

It may involve some travelling but could pay dividends in the long run.

Sizing your self up against the frame specs is one thing but theres no better way of knowing than sitting on one and trying it for size.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    TT/Tri bike either stick to your road size (assuming basic sizinings and datum are same/similar) or go for 1 size up! Why? Because you can adjust your stem saddle height & setback and also benefit from a more stretched out aero position of the larger frame. Avoid going a size down you will never get comfortable, believe me I've made that mistake
  • Very true Treefrog.

My Van Nicholas Blaze is a 52cm as apposed to my road and winter bikes which are both 50cm.

The extra length in the top tube makes all the difference.