Home Chat General Chat

Caption Competition

2»

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Dave's experiments with running at VCH4Max had come to a sticky end.
    Concerned Onlooker: "Thank god it's not Bike, Run, Swim".
    Dave had misunderstood when the other guys in the relay team told him had to do the Run Leg.
    Dave was feeling good. Nobody had come near him in the last mile.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Run Shatboy Run.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    OK I'm going to rain on the parade! I can see that this has a funny side but what I get out of this photo is that this guy wants to win more than anything, and he's prepared to do what it takes to achieve his aim.

Before the "its' the taking part brigade" start the guy might be 2nd or 3rd last, he may be after the cut off time, it may be his first ever race, .... he may give all his wages to charity etc

This guy is what sport is all about and should inspire all of you who whine on and on about going for a walk with the dog about should I lose weight, about elitist attitudes!

What are you prepared to do in order to win (win = achieve your goals) .... sacrifice some money and buy some good kit? Train better? Train more? Lose the weight by EATING LESS?

This guy is a hero ... now stop whinging and do some training! Rant over

• haha treefrog, some serious peeing on bonfires.

but the poor guy though. is there really no possibility that it was a cross country race and that's mud???
    Oh I am ashamed. I mostly agree with Treefrog. I would also worry if the guy was really traumatised by the whole thing. It can't be much fun to have your photo like this plastered all over the web. But I hope that he is tough enough. I would hate to imagine what I would feel like if it happened to me.

OK, it was against my better judgment - the problem was the thread title had "competition" in it. And I can't resist a competition.

In fact, off to do a 5K race now!
  • good luck in your race jack
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    The half eaten bar goes to Britspin, followed closely by Jack , who wins the ripped of wrapper of Britspins bar(Consider that as a higher price actually).

Treefrog, would you have felt the same way if he would have been riding a Cervélo at that moment??

I'm sure that should be considered as treason!!
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    oh man i'm still laughing! its the look on his face! well thats what happens when you dont do a poo pre-race!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Bah humbug, treefrog.

I'm sure loads of us know how much the effort that we put in and the training miles means. And when it comes to race day nothing, nothing, will stop you finishing. Even shatting your pants. Yes, this guy is a hero just like all the other guys who've crossed the line injured, sick, nearly dying, overweight etc.

I'm happy to make light of it here, coming up with funny captions, but if I'd seen this for real I'd have been with the rest of you in the scramble to collect him as he crossed the line, wrap a towel around, get some water, lend a pair of shorts etc. I'm pretty sure all the other guys would be in there too.

I suspect your real point was to make sure people know that you can expect a level of respect and sportsmanship amongst the tri community that would support you if your day goes horribly wrong. The only other reason I can think of for your uncharacteristic sensititivity towards the weak is that this is a youthful picture of you and you have been severely traumatised by it.....

<snigger>

• bopo - you're right like... im sure if we'd actually been there we'd have been full of support for the guy.

i was at a race on sunday weirdly enough after reading this post..... and there was a guy at the end who took ages to cross the finish line (it was a 10k race) and was one of the last finishers.. and to cap it off he'd had the same unfortunate accident as this guy did about half way in. he explained to us afterwards that he had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis a few years ago so the fact he was running at all was amazing and his accident, well, couldn't be helped given his condition.

i think we were all stunned when he told us, as well as having a huge amount of respect for him! so well done that guy!