Home Chat General Chat

Garmin

I have a Garmin 305, use it for both running and cycling and love it. I have my first tri next weekend and want to wear the HR strap under my tri suit during the swim, can it be done? will it bugger it? Is there a strap that is waterproof and compatible for the 305? The Garmin website gives nob all info.

Comments

• wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I also have a 305 and love it. I've never tried it under my wetsuit. It does say that it is water resistant for 30 minutes up to 1 metre depth. My guess is that under a wetsuit it will get some protection, so unless you are planning a longish swim, then it SHOULD be okay.

I've never tested this theory though, so absolve all responsibility if it drowns! Let me know how you get on if you plan to give it a go!!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Thats the unit that can apparently take a metre of water for 30 mins, the strap should be water proof! I think (don't shoot me if it dies though!)
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    It will be quite bulky to get your wetsuit sleeve over in T1.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    DONT SWIM WITH YOUR 305!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will totally bugger it, when a manufacturer states water resitance for 1m for 30min that means it will survive a minor shower, not a swim.

Loads of people have ideas as to how to swim with a 305 (in a bag under your swim cap) but I wouldnt bother, chances are youll trash it. You can however swim with the HR strap, that will be fine.

Garmin are bringing out a 310xt which is a totally waterproof version of the 305.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Ive seen the 310xt, looks nice.

Im not intending to swim with my 305, just the HR strap as this would be a major timewaster in T1.

I will have the 305 already on my bike and then will attach it to my wrist in T2 - having the HR strap on from the start. I think Ill email Garmn to confirm.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    that should be fine, the chest strap should be completely waterproof, most HR chest straps are!
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Yep the strap is fine underwater.... just dont use the 305..... I used to do what you have done and fasten it to the bike then take it off and put it on my wrist for the run.

Now I have the 305 for the run and a 205 for the bike so I dont have to prat about taking it off/putting it on etc :)