Home Chat General Chat

Watches

I am competing in the Nice Ironman in June and I currently have a Garmin 305, which I can use for timing the bike and run leg. I was thinking about maybe getting a waterproof stopwatch (Timex Ironman Triathlon 150 Lap Sleek Watch from Wiggle) but I was wondering how much people actually use the stopwatch for the swim leg as it would be yet another gadget to join my collection.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I don't use my watch during the swim leg other than starting it at the hooter and looking at it when I get out of the water before thinking fcuk, another bad swim time.

However I use my watch regularly while swim training

I just bought a new Timex. I was going to buy a Garmin but the Garmin guy told me not to use while swimming. I see there's a thread already going on this.
  • LimeycatLimeycat Posts: 29
    I've got an Adidas sports watch with limited functionality (just a basic stopwatch really), but it's performed well for the 6 months I've had it, using it at every swim session (approx 3-4 per week). It only cost about 30 quid.

I've heard reports about the Timex Ironman failing if the buttons are used under water, which I would've thought kinda defeats the object of a watch with lap timing capability... Depends what you want it for I guess. See this thread on Swimclub for more info.

• imagine my suprise when halfway through the swim in the ironman nice,i go to check my time to find my polar air has sprung a leak and was full of condensation.

enjoy the race. if i were you i would worry about the heat and the hills.

• I had a Timex ironman watch - wore on holiday in the pool, more just dipping than swimming and certainly no button pressing - and it filled with condensation and got liquid on the LCD display. Wiggle exchanged it and the new one is now used for dinghy sailing - its been getting wet and salty 3 times a week for the last 2 years and no probs. So are they waterproof? Well, sometimes...
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    i've got an ironman tri (WR 200m), solar powered jobby, i've had no problems using it underwater (lap times etc) whilst swimming most days of the week. I used to have a cheap heart rate one that worked fine until i tried to change the battery myself - hence the solar powered one now! most 50m watches should be ok, just watch the button use! good luck with the ironman!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I had a cheap (£30) Oregon Scientific which I used for years & it worked perfectly in the water until, as above, I changed the battery myself and it just died in the pool.

I thought about a Garmin Forerunner 50 but was told categorically by Garmin sales people not to wear it in the pool. I was told by them 3 weeks ago to look out for a new model, presumably the FR 60, but I can't justify spending £130 on a watch at the moment. From reading various websites I figured the Timex Ironman one for £70 was properly tri-specific, both watch & strap being waterproof. It arrives tomorrow or Weds, I'll let you know if I have any trouble in the water.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    dunno why the garmin people will tell you not to wear the 50 to swim in, i've been using mine for swimming training and racing in and not had any problems. even changed the battery myself. granted i dont push the buttons underwater, but no condensation and no leaks. been very happy with it
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    I wouldn't bother with anything other than a heart rate monitor which will have the time, your heart rate and is generally waterproof.

it will make sure you don't push yourself to much in the early stages