Home Chat General Chat

The Official (drinking) Wall of Shame

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    OK, so yesterday, for the first time in 40 days, I had 1pt of beer, and 3 big glasses of wine. This almost certainly counts as binge drinking. But was it good?

The beer was fantastic: A pint of a strongish bitter brewed by the little craft brewery a mile down the road. Always nice, but, with the hot weather and being the first for 40 days, sublime.

It was 4.3% ABV and really went to my head. I had to sober up a bit afterwards. Alcohol tolerance obviously reduced.

The wine was while cooking (glass of red) then while eating (2 x glass of white. Might have been 2.5 while I think of it). A sauvignon blanc, followed by a dry muscat. Again, tasted fantastic, but not as good as the beer.

But! Slept badly - might have been work related stress - always sleep badly on a Sunday night - Waking up at 2am or 4am drenched in sweat etc. So, feeling a bit rough this morning - will be a combination of the 5 hours of physical activities (3 hours of training, 2 of tennis), plus lack of sleep + dehydration.

Will be back on the wagon this week! (until either Friday or Sunday/Monday).

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    ooops

Half way up a mountain on Saturday (Helvellyn), driving rail, hail and snow caused us to turn on our heels and head back down, as we were with friends and staying in a lovely little hotel we inevitably ended up in the bar area ordering a plate of sandwiches and a nice late afternoon drink (1664). Oooops.....we sat at that little table facing out on across ullswater all afternoon, and whilst gazing out the window i was at least dreaming of swimming across it one day, and as more and more drinks flowed, i started to believe that i could actually do it!

I drank 6 pints that day. But in my defence that was spaced over 6 hours, and i got up at 7.30 and went for a punishingly hilly 4k run. Followed by a full english[:@]
    garyroberts wrote:
    ...whilst gazing out the window i was at least dreaming of swimming across it one day, and as more and more drinks flowed, i started to believe that i could actually do it!

This isn't quite Ulswater, but Windermere is probably just as fun - something for you in September: http://www.greatnorthswim.org/
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I only was drinking cause my boss made me do it! A colleague came to visit from America and my boss couldn't take him out properly on Friday or Saturday nights so asked me to make sure he had a good time...

7 pints of Kronenburg later friday night we went for an excessive amount of curry which DID NOT feel good doing a 12km hill run saturday morning at 7am with some mates who are also clearly insane.

Saturday night, more of the same but ended the night with kebabs instead. My boss clearly owes me a significant raise for going so far above and beyond the call of normal duty.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Bottle of Double Drop Sat night with bangers & mash..dear lord moral decline has gripped me.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Still sober but Lent is over at sunset tomorrow!
    treefrog wrote:

Still sober but Lent is over at sunset tomorrow!

So, are you going back to drinking?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Lent is over so I am now enscosed in a bottle of Italian red!

I'll get pissed tonight - that's the nature of the beast - I'm an obsessive prson and I have to make a drink/no drink decision!

I'm very fit and lean at the moment so dare I say I'll go easy on the drink until the Winter time

Saturday. 5Km run in the morning. Knee to sore for cycling as planned. So, a trip across the moor to our favourite Timothy Taylor tied house. The views are fantastic - a sweeping panorama across the South Pennine uplands. The view takes in some of my favourite bike climbs too. Sat outside with our 6 month old puppy. He had just passed his loose lead walking examination that afternoon, so there was something worth celebrating.

Started off with a Pint of Ram Tam. This is relatively rare outside Timothy Taylor country. It is a dark strong beer - more like a porter than a stout, but quite distinctive from those styles. A rich creamy head, and a chocolaty, yet vinous body - not sweet like a dark mild, and not bitter like a guiness. Usually sold as a winter warmer,, so this was towards the end of the ram tam season. It makes an excellent start to a session, especially when you are a bit peckish.

Then on to a pint of Taylor's Best. Not as strong as Landlord - but a bit sweeter. My personal favourite of the range. Very good if you can find a well kept pint.

Finally, a pint of Landlord. This is the most commonly found outside of the Timothy Taylor heartlands. Although it doesn't travel that well - or, rather, the pubs that sell it see it as a bit of a cash cow - following the endorsement from Madonna, and the publicans often aren't up to keeping a good pint. Taylor's tied houses are always worth a trip to, as they keep to pretty good standards. Landlord is a strong pale ale - more like an IPA than a bitter. Lots of flavour, but not too hoppy. Very easy to drink, despite the strength.

Back home to one of my favourite dishes - the Missus' home made lasagne. The difference between one of these and your common or garden lasagne is like the difference between a pool swim in 32 degrees, and an open water swim high up in some crystal clear alpine lake. A deliciously rich and meaty ragu, the silkiest bechamel sauce. A decent quality cheese on the base of some really good pasta. Marvelous!

Although the day was fantastic weather wise, being still early in the spring, the evening was cool enough for a fire. With the coals blazing, and the candles lit, we enjoyed our dinner with a rather nice bottle of Rioja. Some might question matching a spanish wine with an essential north Italian dish. But the rich fruity body, and the pungent flavours of the 2004 Cosme Palacio y Hermanos, really set off the very rich food in a wonderful way.

Afterwards, a bit tipsy, with our bellies satisfyingly full, and the pup snoozing, we basked in the glow of the fire, while I read poetry to the Missus. Might sound a bit twee for all you ex squaddy types, but, if I was a cynic, it is evenings like this that pay off masses and masses of WAT - it doesn't all have to be in hard cash!. And I didn't have to do the cooking.
    At least 4 pints of export, a glass of white wine and one bacardi and coke (so far)........todays a complete blow out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    one bottle of corona.

Ive cycled 212km so far this week and about to head out on an 80km ride too - justified. Probably have one tonight too.
    one bottle of corona.

i feel soooooo guilty, inferior, crappy, you're training so much more than me and drinking so much less.

I'll punch this into the computer and see what it all means for my race times.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    right then:

Friday: half bottle of wine, 2 guinness and roast chicken

Saturday: 1 moretti, 2 leffe, 2 double glenlivet.

Sunday: at least half bottle of wine, at least half a leg of lamb, 1 john smiths and a pint.

Today: 1 choc liqeur and i thinks thats it!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    OK here goes, since i have been very good lately i haven't posted on here, until now...

during yesterdays dinner with some friends i had a really big slip up and managed (somehow) to consume 4 pints of lager, a bottle of red, a glass of rose and half a bottle of white wine. My hangover has only just started to clear so this was a real waste of the long weekend...i am so dissapointed with myself as i haven't been this drunk in so long.[&o]
    @ md6

thank god for you! i was beginning to think i was the only one.....i crashed and burned yesterday too....
  • CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    First post in this thread and im not proud!

I havent drunk in 2 months but being easter weekend i felt i would be rude not to.

12-13 vodka red bulls friday night, I think, Its a little hazey!!!

That was it tho. Didnt feel too great the next day so was never going to go out again.

However 10.45am spin class is the best hangover cure ive ever come by!

Good work guys.Although im not proud, you do make me feel better

CPT333
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    @Gary - Glad to be of assistance, i think that was the only positive thing to come out of the weekend for me [;)]
    In the spirit of multi-event sports, yesterday I concentrated on discipline of Apple and Pear based alcoholic beverages. There is now an increasingly varied range of Ciders and Perries available following on the surge of popularity caused by the Magners/Bullmers advertising wars.

Sat in the garden watching the misses work, while I elevated my leg. Washed the pain and misery down with a rather interesting array of single varietal ciders. Nice. Perfected my transition technique. I know there is a lot of time to be saved if you just drink from the bottle. But you can't get the full flavours, so it's a fresh glass for me each time.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

A glass of Argentinian Malbec on Sunday evening.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    To make the drinkers feel better.....

Friday 10th - Annual pub crawl with friends, known as Good Friday Agreement, so about 8 beers, 1 sambuca, 2 glasses of wine...gets hazy after that

Sat 11th - Just the three pints of cider

Sun 12th - 1 bottle white wine, 1 shot cherry vodka (disgusting)

Mon 13th - A few more glasses of white

:-( Think I'll lay off the booze for a while....
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I'm resurrecting this post and confessing to having beer this evening in preparation for my first audax tomorrow.......feeling quite nervous. But the beer is helping.
    juleso wrote:

I'm resurrecting this post and confessing to having beer this evening in preparation for my first audax tomorrow.......feeling quite nervous. But the beer is helping.

Good luck! Weather should be good! Now.. Audax... that takes me back... Is the Paris-Brest-Paris run still going?

I've drunk wine and now drinking Guiness. It is making me a bit emotional. I'm also drowning my sorrows a bit because I will be a DNS for, what would have been, my first event tomorrow. Tsk. Self pity is so unattractive. Must snap out of it.
    Good luck for tomorrow juleso, get a good nights sleep!

Jack, we can take some self pity because we know your pain.

As for the shame, yes, two beers so far. But have had a good day training and finishing the bathroom!
  • Failed badly last night..

I've had such a good run with training for the last few weeks..

went down the pub with the running club straight from the gym..

no dinner and plenty of pints of larger and cider...

today was complete write off with hangover..

Reminded me why I can't/shouldn't drink while trying to train.
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Due to a week of going to chelsea without a little person accompanying me its been a bad week for booze!!!!! The were large amounts saturday then tuesday, with 45 minute intervals in between followed by a regular topping up on wednesday whilst scouting potential final opponents, ( i know this is not about tri and i beg your forgiveness)

Yesterday i consumed about ten pints of carlsberg at wembleys very reasonable prices!!!!!![:@] followed by 5 pints of guiness later on!

Jack Hughes, yes, Paris-Brest-Paris is still going on; the other half fessed up this morning that he'd like to do it in 2011. Not a surprise but usually I just overhear these things while we're in the pub, because that way he thinks it'll lessen the blow I reckon!

In a thread-related way, I'm confessing now that after today's 4.5h cycle I'm off to the pub in a bit and then for a curry.

As I type I can see the sunburnt hands where my gloves weren't. First sunburn of the year and it's not something to be proud of but YAY IT'S NOT WINTER ANY MORE!
    Hic! Ssshunshine is marveloush. Hic. A nicshe glasshh or two of Erdinger Dunkel. Hic. And shome schider. Fantashtic. Too hot to roassht the pork. So drinking on an empty schtomach. Gone ssshtraight to my head.

P-B-P is the one to do! Have a bidon from that event lurking in my cellar somewhere.
    Surely it's worth doing the event just for the bidon! 1200 miles of cycling to achieve the ownership of a plastic bottle.

Am a bit hung over. Boo.
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    I confess to 4 pints of a well known irish stout. Was the last home game of the rugby season for Bath(which they won) and I was convinced i needed to up my iron intake.
  • Er...... I'm on a pint already with another chilling in my Beer fridge............. oh does the fact I have a beer fridge go against me