Home Chat General Chat

Kidney Pains

During this weekends aquathon, I suffered from Kidney pains about 1/2 mile into the run. The pain reduced my run into a slow plod.

Does anybody have any ideas why this would happen ?

I thought maybe it was lack of hydration or just stitch in the back.

I had porridge for breakfast, and drank zipvit energy drink 1hr before the race.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Are you sure it was kidney pain and not just some muscles in the lower back? I would have thought it was the latter. Were you doing breast stroke or front crawl. My guess is that it was breast stroke - with a lot of tension on the lower back, then switching to the run, rather than relaxing, the muscles have gone into spasm - i.e. a cramp like thing.

Remedy: Exercises in the gym, targeting lower back, and also the core as that might also be the problem. More practise!

Not that I would know, I just sat munching some Diclofenac Sodium Enteric Coated Tablets. Nice.
  • trudgertrudger Posts: 61
    Hi,

I had just done front crawl at a steady pace, was not too shattered when got out of the pool.

The pain was at the back of my love-handles, and ached for a couple of days.
  • have been engaging in excessive sexual activity pre race?

I was always warned about that in judo, guys complained that their legs went weak and their lowerback kidney area was burning/crippling them.