Home Chat General Chat

beironfit question

I just do a variety of drills that i've read about - not sure if any are mentioned specifically. I got it into a fairly set routine now, so after the warm up I do

50 - Fin

50 - Fist

50 - Catchup

50 - Backstroke

50 - Breaststroke

50 - Catchup

50 - Fist

50 - Fin

Then before the warm down I do

50 - Breaststroke

50 - Backstroke

50 - Catchup

50 - Fist

50 - Fin

50 - Sculling

50 - Backstroke

50 - Breaststroke

Although i'd welcome suggestions of other things to try as its getting a little boring!

Comments

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    damn i hate being a noob to swimming.. Are these drills online anywhere that I can read up on..

50 - Fin ??

50 - Fist ??

50 - Catchup ??

Hi

For those who have the book like me.. can someone describe what is meant by DR - swim drills..

For example 8 X 50 DR

There are no specific drills mentioned...or am i missing something..

IK

Thanks in advance
  • I don't quite have time to explain, but I have taught myself to swim and did quite a lot of reading online to work out the technique (its not perfect but its not bad either!). The internet is a real wealth of free information so I recommend you do some reading yourself.

I just quickly typed in 'swimming drills' into our friend google and this website looked promising

http://swimming.about.com/cs/techniquetips/a/Freestyl_Drills.htm
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    50 - Fin ??
    ironkav wrote:

damn i hate being a noob to swimming.. Are these drills online anywhere that I can read up on..

50 - Fin ??

50 - Fist ??

50 - Catchup ??

Fin - probably shark fin or zipper drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8X1Vr6hgmA)

Catchup - like regular freestyle but keep leading arm extended in glide position until recovering arm reaches the same point (touch hands at front).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RHJKZFLewk&feature=related

Fist - swimming with clenched fists to force you to use your forearm catch (really don't want to type 'fist' into google at work!)

Thanks...

Fist in Google could lead to termination of employment alright.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Other drills include single arm, ripple and side kicking (though I never saw the point of this one, so don't do it)
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Ironkav- take a look on youtube and key in "Swim Drills" in the search box, loads of interesting stuff.

A word of caution though, Swim drills are done to improve your stroke, if these are not done correctly you are just training your body to swim with incorrect technique which can have a negative effect.

Worth having a swim/Tri coach look over your stroke if possible.

Good Luck
    I have my first meeting with my new swim coach on Saturday. Exactly 4 weeks to the day of my 1st tri.. Should be sorted. I can swim the distance just need to conserve energy now.