Home Chat General Chat

Shin pain (splints)

Hello again

I'm a busy bee today!

I don't cover great distances running, since i've only been doing it since Jan and have had to focus on swimming/biking.....you know the score.....

....anyway, things have been going quite well until i put in a 10K run last Friday, i got a little shin pain so have laid off until today, just been out for a quick 5k and the pain came back after no more than 2k. Its a sharp type of pain that runs vertically down the insides on my shins. Its not directly down the shin bone, and its definitely not on the outside edge of the bone, its on the inner sides. Can anyone tell me anything about this pain - i could do without it!

G

(in need of your collective expertise)

Comments

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    This is common to people who start running mate,

99% of people think it is Shin splints.... 1% of the time it is shin splints.

It prob will only be the muscle/tissue that has attached around the sides of the Tibia, when you exercise regularly for the first time this muscle/tissue takes a pounding and is subject to more forces/stress than its used too. Then it starts to 'peel away' to want of a better word, from the bone hence the pains.

I had this 3 years ago when I started, I just put up with the pain and eventually it went away. HOWEVER: PLEASE NOTE THIS WORKED FOR ME AND WAS WHAT I HAD I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE OR THAT RUNNING THROUGH THE PAIN IS ADVISABLE...... IF IN DOUBT SEE A SPORTS THERAPIST..... I know a good one not far from you if you want to see him... let me know bud give us a bell or summat!:)

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    HOWEVER: PLEASE NOTE THIS WORKED FOR ME AND WAS WHAT I HAD I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE OR THAT RUNNING THROUGH THE PAIN IS ADVISABLE...... IF IN DOUBT SEE A SPORTS THERAPIST.

lol

• Well I have had shin splints for almost a year. Getting better, but I am very aware of them. Good luck!
    I'll see what happens for a week or two, its just a bit of a bummer that its happened now - it doesn't really slow me down over 5k (yet) as i can just run though.

I may well be in touch regarding the physio....

Cheers buddy

G
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Time for some new shoes!

Can you do some off road running?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Jack Hughes wrote:

Time for some new shoes!

I second that. Get some new running shoes asap. And a supply of cushioned plasters. New shoes will rub somewhere!
    I have new shoe's.....!
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Funnily enough my shins usually give me grief and I did my first 10k road race on Saturday. No shin hurt at all. yay! But dodgy pain in arch instead on one foot. boo! I'm new to running really so like the other person said above it might just be a case of persevering like I have and not going mental on the treadmill / roads. Apparently the treadmill can make it worse too as it 'throws' your foot backwards thus making pain in the front of the leg more apparent. My mate who told me that also told me a good stretch that works; put one heel under your bum and the other leg out straight in front of you (whilst kneeling on the floor obviously!) and then lean your torso back as far as you can. This definitely helps me.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    I had shin splints, mainly caused by bad new shoes, that were too heavy to what I was used to, so I was plodding up and down, making enough sound to support a decent rock drummer! I went back to my old (lighter) trainers and concentrated on having a light step, and now I don't get any pain, and happily (well....) running half marathons
  • hbiker108hbiker108 Posts: 23
    Hiya Gary

I had the same problem last year and went to see the doctor. He said the same thing about my muscles peeling away from my bone. Said it wasnt serious unless i carried on running. He told me to sort out some proper shoes (which i did) and try running on softer surfaces (running track, grass or even a treadmill). I purchased a treadmill and the pain went away and hasnt been back in over a year, also did the gait analysis thingy and havent looked back since.

x
    Thanks everyone, its all good stuff!

I have been running on roads/pavements so this might not be ideal. I will look for alternatives. My shoe's are pretty new, got then in Jan and i think they're ok. I used to get this kind of trouble all the time but since the new shoe's and the tri training it has not been back....until now :o(

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Gary. Go to a physio. A decent sports physio. I've had the same problem as you - well it sounds a lot like it anyway. I got a new physio after a year of messing about and the problem not going away. Iwas told that I have hypermobile ankles, and my switch to midfoot running had exacerbated the problem. The tissue attached to the tibia goes round under the foot, sort of like a stirrup. Hypermobile ankles (and the resulting over/hyperpronation) essentially try to tear this tissue away from the bone. My physio told me to take 2-3 weeks off running, and get orthotics ASAP, because otherwise I'd give myself a stress fracture, which would mean at least 6 weeks off.

If you press the bone low down on your inner leg, and it's tender to the touch, and painful during your run and afterwards, it could well be the same thing. Apparently it's very common. I couldn't find any info on it - so for once I had gone to a physician without having diagnosed it myself online! It's probably a bad habit to get into, googling your symptoms, and I'm sure it can be so misleading.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I think the physio route is probably best.

I got very similar problems to you while training for a 10k last year.

The physio told me it was to do with tight calf muscles and hamstrings and trying to run too fast too soon (ie I didn't have a strong enough base for the pace I was trying to run at). I wasn't stretching enough (particularly calves - both straight and bent leg). Since then and getting into a good stretching regime I haven't suffered (touch wood). I've also had regular sports massage which has really helped loosen the calf muscles. But if you do get massage make sure it's not the day before your race - it can leave you feeling a bit sluggish for a couple of days.

Good luck.
    Blimey. Well that told me, Conehead.

Grrrrrr.
    Gary. Go to a physio. A decent sports physio. I've had the same problem as you - well it sounds a lot like it anyway. I got a new physio after a year of messing about and the problem not going away. Iwas told that I have hypermobile ankles, and my switch to midfoot running had exacerbated the problem. The tissue attached to the tibia goes round under the foot, sort of like a stirrup. Hypermobile ankles (and the resulting over/hyperpronation) essentially try to tear this tissue away from the bone. My physio told me to take 2-3 weeks off running, and get orthotics ASAP, because otherwise I'd give myself a stress fracture, which would mean at least 6 weeks off.

If you press the bone low down on your inner leg, and it's tender to the touch, and painful during your run and afterwards, it could well be the same thing. Apparently it's very common. I couldn't find any info on it - so for once I had gone to a physician without having diagnosed it myself online! It's probably a bad habit to get into, googling your symptoms, and I'm sure it can be so misleading.

@ juleso

This is not just close, its bang on the button my friend. Everything you say here is true for me, this started with a 10K last week when i actively tried to run more on my forefeet [:@], pressing on inner ankle (just above ankle) hurts [:@], and the fact that if anything i overpronate.

But i dont have time to lay off the legs........
    Only you can make that decision. But please don't go and get a stress fracture, Gary, you don't want to join the ranks of the injured.

Go well....
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    garyroberts wrote:

I have new shoe's.....!

Are they paulo nutini's?

He sang about new shoes

Lol