Home Chat General Chat

Gels!

Is it just me or is taking a gel like eating someone else snot!

I'm not sure weather to chew or just swallow.

Are there any good/nice ones out there?

What are people's thoughts?

Comments

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278

Mate i agree, i took a few last year and hated them, so just didnt bother.

Used SIS Energy drink instead.

However i have now thought that without them, i am going to struggle, so have bought a few differnt ones and am going to test out to see if i can get on with any of them.

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I go with SIS, Tropical flavour I find the best. Tried a couple of other brands that have come free with magazines or been given out at races but find SIS the most palatable. They're isotonic as well so you don't need to worry about washing them down with the requisite amount of water.

Agree with you about the texture though, like nothing else I've ever swallowed.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Seeing as there's now a specific thread I'll repeat this:-

Out of interest, what is the benefit of gels plus water over energy drink?

Jules wrote:

Gels plus water seems to me (in theory) quite fiddly, whereas an energy drink takes care of hydration and energy all at once?

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Conehead wrote:

to get all of your calorific requirements from drink alone in a race is going to involve gagging down a lot of drink.

Supplementing with gels means you don't have energy drink coming out of your eyes when on the run.

I assume this is more of an issue at IM and 70.3 distance?

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    THanks for you advice conehead - just one more point, the gel I had was the one that came free with that ZipVit pack, It also came witha an energy bar which was much more 'tasty' surely those with a little sip of drink would be the same...

But like yousay it could be a long thread on nutrition!

but the most important thing is - it's nit jsut me that thinks they are like eating someone else's snot!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    graham33 wrote:

- it's nit jsut me that thinks they are like eating someone else's snot!

guarenteed that what I think its like swallowing isn't actually printable here[&:] its the salty edge and consistency that really makes me gag [:'(] await comments about different varieties with interest
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I think gels are just one of the nasty things you have to accept and get over if you're going to do some event lasting more than 1.5 - 2 hours. Less than that I'd go with Gatorade and water. The only gels I've found that I actually thought tasted good were the ones from Honey Stinger made with honey. They didn't have any protein in them, so not ideal for long events (marathon or equivilant) but if you have water to wash out your mouth, were the best I think. I think some that have a little bit of protein as well, at like a 1:4 protein:carb ratio were proven to be the best since you can't have a fully sugar based energy expenditure.

The SIS ones make me sick every time... I tried to take them 3 or 4 times before giving up. My stomach will not accept that for some reason. Nothing else has ever made me feel that awful while running.

• I use Powerbar for both energy drink and gels.

The Powerbar gels changed quite a bit the other year, they used to be really thick and sickly but now are quite fluid. You can almost get away with using them without any extra water.

The newer versions also have additional sodium, a couple of flavours also have caffeine if you need an extra boost.

I agree that they are probably best for half and full IM but as Conehead said they are great for transitions too on shorter distance.

They are by far the best way to boost your calorie intake.

[color=#ff0000]Two tips[/color]:

Don't use gels unless you have trained with them as this could really give you stomach problems on race day.

Rather than use individual gels on race day use a small gel bottle or two in your rear pockets on the bike particularly. It will save a lot of fiddling around when trying to open the sachet and you won't get sticky fingers.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    'gel bottle' ???? don't tell me there's more kit to be having[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    Yes, what is a 'gel bottle'? I was "looking forward" to having 12 gels taped onto my top bar for the bike, but if I can do the same with 1 bottle then the more the merrier! :)
  • http://www.thefeedstation.com/?act=viewProd&productId=104

Other suplliers and brands are available.

Also belts for holding up to 4 flasks.

I just carried two in rear pockets on my tri suit.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    get a gel bot!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Wow! you can save 4 pence - quick guys buy one now!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    excuse my ignorance but what is a 'smart gel'?

That bottle looks just like the ones that attach to my running belt - they are about 175mls each. I guess i don't need to buy new kit as i already have it, the GAT woman may take some backdated payments if i was to buy more (and unnecessary) kit at the moment...
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I've just picked up some SIS Go Gel (60m). I was going to test them out before my first sprint in May. (with the real aim of using them at Olympic next year)

Was planning to take one 20/30 mins before swim and then another half way through the bike (to make sure the run goes okish) but...

The packet says consume 3/4 per hour!!! that's a hell of a lot of gel!! I'll be spending more time taking them than pedaling.

Is this because its the isotonic stuff?

Would you guys just take water with it.

Or even bother with the gels at all?

Cheers,

Will.

the more i learn the more i realise i don't know!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Mate it wont do you any harm taking it every 20-30 mins

I am going to take them 30 mins before and then every thirty mins.

I am also going to carry 1 bottle sis drink and 1 bottle water.

Although you dont need water with them, but as has been said before they taste like snot, and when i take them on there own it makes me gag.(stop it).

The worst thing that could happen is i'm buzzing all night.

• gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    willtri wrote:

I've just picked up some SIS Go Gel (60m). I was going to test them out before my first sprint in May. (with the real aim of using them at Olympic next year)

Was planning to take one 20/30 mins before swim and then another half way through the bike (to make sure the run goes okish) but...

The packet says consume 3/4 per hour!!! that's a hell of a lot of gel!! I'll be spending more time taking them than pedaling.

Is this because its the isotonic stuff?

Would you guys just take water with it.

Or even bother with the gels at all?

Cheers,

Will.

the more i learn the more i realise i don't know!

For a sprint, I think gels are overkill full stop. Anything less than an Olympic, I would think nutrition is not all that key - you can get required calories from sports drinks easily enough without overloading. Even olympics, I tend to take on calories via gel only during the bike, just taking on water during the run...

The reasons to use gels are (standard caveat - in my opinion, your mileage might vary, race how you train, etc...)

1. They are easier to get down your neck if you're running / biking than a solid food or large quantities of sports drink whilst giving you enough calories to continue

2. Some are isotonic, which means that if you use them along with water you're rehydrating (water) and replenishing vital salts (isotonic) at the same time

3. While they taste a bit like warm, salty snot with hints of orange / lemon lime / blackcurrant, they are fairly easy on the tummy. I find they don't upset my stomach as much as eating powerbars or large quantities of sports drink

4. It's easier to take them. You can tape several to the top stem of your bike or wear a 'marathon' belt with multiple doses. All you have to do is tear the top and squeeze.

Reasons not to use them:

1. They are huge amounts of sugar. Makes some people jumpy.

2. Some have caffeine; this can make some people pretty uncomfortable.

3. They taste like warm, salty snot with hints of *pick your flavour*

4. If you don't take the isotonic ones, then you have to take water with them, and possibly supplement with sports drink to get the salts you need. This means having to carry more crap with you which means more weight

5. if you haven't trained with them, they can make your stomach turn circles. I spent the whole run of my first olympic trying not to puke because I sucked down a gel I'd never tried before.

• guarenteed that what I think its like swallowing isn't actually printable here[&:] its the salty edge and consistency that really makes me gag [:'(] await comments about different varieties with interest

moonshine - im glad someone else said it before i did but thats exactly what i thought of the first time i tried gels, offered to me by a very 'macho' bloke who was also a bit of a sleaze. i have now got over that image and go for SIS Go Isotonic gels everytime!!

yummy - ish. well okay i wont go that for but at least i can get em down. x
  • oh yeah and agree with gomiboy - for a sprint i just wouldnt bother... a good feed up the night before and a good breaky is just fine for a sprint. but its my first oly this yr and trying them on my long rides and runs to see how they treat me [:)] x
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    For a sprint, I think gels are overkill full stop. Anything less than an Olympic, I would think nutrition is not all that key - you can get required calories from sports drinks easily enough without overloading. Even olympics, I tend to take on calories via gel only during the bike, just taking on water during the run...

Cheers Gomiboy,

Although i did try them out last night on my ride home from work and it might just be my mind playing tricks - but the last 5 miles is uphill and i was going a quite a lot faster than usual.

Might just be getting fitter though! [:)]

Did finish off a bit buzzy mind - prob not a bad thing - as really fancied going out for a run after.....
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i'll give the smart gel a try i think, nothing better than a little caffine to help boost the run/bike leg. Now, if i can just get over the consistency etc