Home Chat General Chat

Aero bars

I went and got a Giant Trinity 2009 about a month ago. I decided to go for an all out tri bike although I'm new. After measuring and re-assuring me the bike shop put me on a medium sized bike (something about me having a long back that required a medium size). They had to adjust the seat hight a little, but other than that it fits like a charm....except the aero bars, they seem to long.

I have to reach out really far to reach the gears which are quite stiff so I tend to wobble a bit when I'm on the bike which sorta ruins my momentum and (is that the word? - sorry I'm danish, couldn't find a better one) makes the aero postion quite tough to hold as well for a longer period of time.

My question is this then: Are there any ways of shortening the bars? Painted on the side of them are wee scales, so I thought maybe a bike shop could reposition the gears somehow by shortening the bars one way or another? Saw them shorter or something?

Any thoughts are appriciated.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I've read that you can shorten them with a hacksaw?
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    you should be able to cut them down, or even adjust them. if you arent comfortable doing it yourself take it in to a bike shop and they can do it for you
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Yes you can cut them, I have cut mine :)

I used a hacksaw and after about 10 minutes of sawing they were done....

Just make sure you dont cut them too short!!!!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Measure twice, cut once.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Cut off just a bit at a time if you're thinking you need to remove more than 4cm. That way you can test it out and make sure you don't go too far.