Home Chat General Chat

Can triathletes have any modesty

we agree on something.

Comments

• pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    I think you will find we agree on a few things , but this modesty rule really get my back up , it's a farce

You could wear a completely see through suit and not break the bta rules , but if you undo your suit a fraction to much when it's warm you could end up getting banned.

Got to admit some of the girls in tri in a see through suit is a interesting thought. But that another matter
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Eh? Are you new round here?

Triathletes are overachieving narcissistic obsessive compulsives: they will do anything to achieve the goal, they don't care what they look like, or what people think, so long as it achieves the desired result. They also happen to think that they look good in all that gear, or out of it. Regardless of what they actually look like. There aren't many competitions where getting undressed and dressed is an integral part of the race.

The rules are there to protect "normal people" from the grim reality that is a triathlete in full flow. Not for the benefit of the triathletes themselves.

male or female I don't think think triathletes can have any modesty as we wear tight clothing and get extremely wet and if you do a ironman most people change from kit to kit unless they are going for a time.

Got to admit from a personnal point of view I haven't and it doesn't both me if other people don't either. But I understand under BTA rule you have to but it's a farce as you can were a full suit and it could be see through and it would pass BTA rules but having a top half undone you would be banned how mad is that
    I think you could wear a bag as long as you get round in a decent time that what counts. I don't look at other people when I am competing I am more interested in getting to the line as quick as I can

The only thing that bothers me is my bike
  • yeah goodpoint..a triathlete will run naked and poo/pee as and when the mood dictates...maybe peeing in the tri suit is a happy compremise.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    They also happen to think that they look good in all that gear, or out of it. Regardless of what they actually look like. There aren't many competitions where getting undressed and dressed is an integral part of the race.

I do look good in my gear. What are you trying to say?

I am not saying anything, but what I am saying the BTA rule on modesty are crazy

I am sure you look great as we all do
    Mowf wrote:

I do look good in my gear. What are you trying to say?

We know _you_ look good - but, you have to admit, that the others just don't quite cut it like you do.
    Know that true saw a guy the other week , they must of poored him into the suit it was that tight and straining at the side
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    they don't care what they look like

Mmmmm......i take your overall point about total commitment to the race, but you will have to concede that we really don't need £150 sunglasses??? These are worn because they look good, yeah?? But when push comes to shove our underlying will to do the very best we can will win out.

Here's the acid test:

You're through the swim and bike and having your best run ever, you know you're on your best time ever, you're 10 minutes out from the finish and your glasses come off..............

do you

a) stop and recover them

b) leave them to get trampled

garyroberts wrote:

a) stop and recover them

What! And miss the chance to upgrade them to whatever it is the winner was wearing?

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    @Gary, That's an easy one, you leave them to get trampled then claim it on your household insurance a few days after - small item cover excess isn't too much so upgrade! Although, I would never do this as it would be lying and i couldn't be dishonest (*Please note this post in no way constitutes an encitement to comit insurance fraud of any kind)
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Unless they've changed the rules dramaticly, I think you'll find unzipping your tri top is fine, I do it every race.

Firstly it shows off my manly chest and secondly tri-suits can get a bit restrictive after a while and its refreshing to let the air circulate a bit. (fine by me if the ladies want to follow suit)

I agree that it dosnt leave much to the imagination and you'll see a fair few sausage smugglers and camels toe on your way round the run, my eyes are still burning from a few horrors I've seen over the years!!!

But basicaly to answer your first question, NO you cant have any modesty being a triantelope, thats why you get lots of spectators giggling at transition.........

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I could never leave my sunglasses! I'd gladly piss myself while running but would stop and pick up my m-frames 5 times before leaving them on the side of the road. Not that they'd ever fall off because they're just so awesome of course....

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    MG wrote:

triantelope

Excellent word!

• modesty is over rated and has no correlation whatsoever to the no nudity rule. as already pointed out on this thread you can be definitley not naked and do away with your modesty all in one go. marvellous. x
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    hmmm so if we all follow conehead and wait til something falls off, can we nick it? does this count for bikes? i still have slight modesty whilst training or cycling into work - i wear shorts over the lycra! could just be my skinny legs but hey!
  • jthetjthet Posts: 45
    Yeah Conehead - go on!

How about doing your next Tri with a big bag of your freebies that you then release at regular intervals. (Though not recommended on the swim) it would be a winner all round - the first Tri Christmas! - we'd get cool Conehead kit - you'd empty the garage, living room etc and finish first because everyone would be behind you fighting for the next offering.

JtheT
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    This is quite interesting!

As most of you know my background is lightweight rowing. A similar rule exists ie all competitors must be weighed in their race suit. Now this does not hold for the pre-weigh room where crew boats have to reach an average weight - so various permutations are allowed. I distictly UNREMEMBER watching a Dutch and German ladies crew remove clothes add water add food and cut hir from all areas in order to make weight. I UNREMEMBER because my crew were doing the same permutations .... I need to pee 250 mls!! etc etc

• SamRSamR Posts: 19
    On the modesty front, I have just recieved my new Tri suit (2XU Endurance in Red!!). It fits well but certainly doen't leave anything to the imagination! The only time I am going to wear it in public is at a race!
    Good advice I received, and took up: you want to try it out before the race - it feels quite different to other clothing! So, put on some leggings, and a tee shirt , and get out there! You might get a bit warm, but you will probably enjoy the overall effect.