Home Chat General Chat

Bike position

Hi

I was wondering you think of my bike position and i could best do to improve it to get more aero

Andy

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/23sf62s.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I can't answer your question but here is the pic so that all can see.

[image]http://i39.tinypic.com/23sf62s.jpg[/image]

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    What distance are you aiming at? This position is not aero enough for TTs its too high at the front. The position might be ok for a longer distance event but if its aero you want you should get into as radical position as possible and train in it at your distance/projected time in the saddle.

Looking at the photo I would say lower your stack, and extend your stem and set your saddle further back ie get lower. Bear in mind all this may (in the short term) make you slower as you will find it uncomfortable hence the need to train in the position. Ideally you need to have a flat back. My rule of thmb is that the "beak" of the aero helmet is resting on my spine and I am unable to see my computer because my head is looking straight ahead.

Dare I say it you may need to think about a new frame - go for a longer frame/top tube, actually go to a good TT orientated shop to try different frames (avoid bike fit!!). Yes looking at the poto again too much air is being caught by your torso. Get Lower

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Treefrog do you not think if he gets a longer stem and puts his seat back he will be too stretched out?
    Oh and treefrog is there any chance you could post a pic of someone's position you think is really good, or maybe yours possibly? as I am also trying to optimise my bike position but I am worried about power loss by trying to get too aero.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    As a novice i too have a basic question about GGB's position.....is his leg too straight?
    Like I wrote I think the frame is too short. I had a similar problem with a good Principia frame, I change the stem and the saddle position but A it artificially got me more aero but B it made the bike very unstable. I really think a longer top tube is required. There is a similar thread going on Tri/TT bike sizing and the myth seems to be go small to get low, I in typical contrary fashion, say go big or get what it takes to GET YOUR BACK FLAT.
    His heel is pointing up so he has a bit of movement left in the leg.

As for the go shorter from Conehead, thats' why I think a longer frme is needed it will allow a flat back, and the shorter stem then will stop the artificial aero position ie get the legs over the bb as opposed to in front of the bb. Explained badly!!

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Bear in mind though it is hard to diagnose a good and bad position using 'stills' really you need to be assessed with limbs moving.....

Also your foot/pedal needs to be at the 7 o clock position on this side shown or 5 o clock on the chainring side.... This is the furthest postion that your foot is going to be away from your saddle.

Saying that though, the above comments are correct, for short distances more aero is needed ie less torso showing to the wind.... Long course it doesn't matter so much about aero its more for comfort with being aero only a little bit.

I would get a bike fit done at the a proper shop. That way they can adjust stuff like saddle position, stem length, adjust the aero bars etc.

Personally I think Zabriskie has a pretty dam good position, not the best pic of him. Note the knees very close to the elbow and the not quite flat back. Incidentally I read something recently about how striving for a flat back in aero position was the wrong way to go, they showed an arched back can be as aero as a flat one, it just depends on what your comfortable with.

[image]local://1906/3ACF46536F484B8E9BDD6094E48FD372.jpg[/image]
    Try this site for bike position. I used it in conjunction with an aeronautical engineer friend. He set up cameras and made me go out and train in various positions. I think its documented elsewhere on this forum. It was for IM Switzerland, and I went well on the bike. Anyway I found it very helpful, basically trying to get a happy medium between aero and comfort.

As I alluded to earlier I ended up buying a new frame - a Cervelo P3C - (as a 40th birthday gift to myself) as this gave me the best compromise between aero and comfort. I used the new set up for all my long distance training and racing and it was /is amazing I now also use it for TT's.

Also my aero engineering mate is a huge proponent of aero helmets, overshoes and skinsuits (ps remove all watches and jewellry)

Yes but Zabriske and co. are doing short TT's. Believe me I paid a lot for the Principia TT frame and paid more for new saddles, stems and aerobars.

The best help I got was from my engineering mate who understood aerodynamics, cycling, and the different distance disciplines in triathlon. I accept what you write about position its an unanswerable question as kit evolves and as top riders try new positions.

However I firmly believe in the dilemma of experiment with position and then train in the position.

One reason why I harp on with this thread is that I'm currently experimenting with position. I think I can be 1 minute faster in 10 mile TT's but it will entail a new position, but will this compromise my good tri-distance position?

The Look ergo stem would be a great asset to GGB. The more I look at the photo I take your point re. the knees being high and "hitting the sternum". I think the moving legs vs. the body position is the way to go for tri/half IM/ IM/ post TT distance events. Keep this going!
    I'm so lost treefrog, could we have that site your talking about?
    /www.bikesportmichigan.com/ try this site - despite it being Ameican its actually good
  • My front is as low as it can go, my stem is intergrated and i can't really afford to get new frame

Andy

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It isn't GGB that has the issue...

...Just to confuse things a bit more, here is a more natural photograph - i.e. Brind Surch in full racing flow - not posed. Not quite the best angle, but quite useful...

[image]local://2493/5A6D60E029D748E59CF0E3AD013A4C37.jpg[/image]
  • who are you and how do you know me

Andy

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Brind Surch wrote:

who are you and how do you know me

Ha ha ha ha!! PMSL!!! You sound scared mate.......................................you should be!!

STALKER!!!!!

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Whoops! Didn't mean to cause alarm.

@brind surch: You've plastered yourself all over the internet. This is the 21st Century. Relax and get over it. I thought it was a good photo though, and did a better job of showing your position.