Home Chat General Chat

IMUK 2009 - Bike Course

So this little one (not so little) thought what an excellent opportunity this Easter weekend to get on out to Preston and go down and do a lap of the IM bike course. Although, it's only a provisional course, it's still a worhtwhile effort,............or so I thought.

The first half is an absolute dream. Few rolling bumps, mainly downhill, pretty pacey, roads are average but not the worst I've cycled on. (I live in London where potholes eat the road)

The second hald is an absolute slog-fest and an unhappy time for some Zone 2 cycling..........in that I couldn't stay in Zone 2, or 3, or 4a and in fact ended up above my lactate threshold. It has some killer short sharp hills, and one real long drag that is up, flat, UP, flat, UP, flat and UP .

Admittedly, the route is bloody beautiful and totally stunning all the way round and it will be a pleasure enjoying the views. However, I do fear for my ability to run off the back of some quite tasty hills..........

Comments

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Oooo sounds tough ... but fun.

What gearing did you use and do you think you'll change it before the event?

Looks like some hill and interval sessions are in order.
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I'll check my gearing ratios and come back to you on that one. My 'training bike' only had one cassette ring left to give and it does have me wondering whether my 'race bike' will go sufficiently low enough to cope!!!

I'm going to be doing the course again on the race bike to see whether it's possible or not.

I have re-addressed my cycle training programme as a consequence. Long steady hill climbs and the short push interval to get the wheels moving are the focus!!!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    If you are reading 220 - this is the sort of bike course profile that people will actually find useful.

Nice work.
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I ought to get a job with them.............. just going round and cycling courses!!! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]