Home Chat General Chat

questions

I used to do triathlons about 15 years ago. I know things have changed. i want to do a small sprint tri in my town. my dilema is even though I was always a good swimmer I'm afraid of the 800 yd open water swim. can I wear a wetsuit? its on labor day and the lake is not typically warm. also can i have a life vest or swimmies? I really want to do this race. I don't have free access to open water for practice. what do you think?

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi katlean1

Yes, you can use a wetsuit and as well as keeping you warmer it will give you some valuable buoyancy! Not sure about any other swimming aids, i would guess not!

Good luck [:D]
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    if you can, do some practice in a wet-suit and dont panic when you cant see the bottom! apart from that, enjoy!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Hi,the wetsuit should provide enough bouyancy so you shouldn't need the vest,it would create more of a hinderance I would think.As you can not practice in open water to gain the confidance try to think why open water concerns you,go slowly through each point and find a solution,is it you feel cramped by other people and don't want a foot in the face,so look at the course swim wide,start at the back and relax,the cold will disappear once you start,but if you spend a couple of minutes before the start it will help,the cold might start to labour your breathing so try to forcefully expel the air after a couple of minutes you will relax and enjoy the experience.But why no white shoes after labor day??? it has always puzzled me.All the Best enjoy.