Home Chat General Chat

Swimming Assessments

Hi, so far i have only competed in sprint events where the swim distance has been 400m. i generally swim 2 or 3 times a week and during each session i will do about 1km. I do find swimming boring and i'm sure this is because i'm not an efficient swimmer. i would like to do longer events but swimming is my weakest discipline.

I find that my pace is very constant and hasn't really improved over past few months. I assume there is something wrong with my technique, and i think once my arms disappear beneath the water something is not going right.

Has anyone one ever had an underwater video assessment? and if so do you think it was worth it?

[8|]

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I had some coaching from swim4tri (dan bullock) a couple of years ago now and can say it is certianly worth investing in!!

You may not feel the benefit from it immediately but stick with the drills they give you and go back for a couple more re-assesments and you'll not regret it. They pick apart every aspect of your stroke using video analysis(not as scary as it sounds) and give you the specific coaching and drills to get better.

I would say coaching (from a decent coach) should be the first thing you invest in before you consider getting a £300 wetsuit or a £3000 bike. My swim times have been cut dramaticly from the advice I recieved at swim4tri, and has given me a much more powerful and efficient stroke and a new 1500 pb 23min46sec.
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    I had a session with Rick Kiddle and will be definately getting more.

One session has taken around 5 minutes off my time and i wasnt too slow around the 30 miunte mark for 1500m. Now coming in around the 25 mark and feeling strong.

Very well worth doing one to one
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I got bought a swim session with TriSport Coaching for Xmas and it was well worth it. Had each aspect of my stroke analysed and given specific drills to develop my stroke and make me more efficient.

Have just had the DVD through of my session so I can watch me doing my own drills.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I had a Swim technique / training day last weekend - was excellent - received video footage of me swimming and had technical analysis on the day - lots off good pointers for improvement too. It wasn't expensive either.

If you can get to one of these then go for it - failing that try your local Triathlon swim club and get coached - you should improve in no time. I have increased my 400m time from 8.46 down to 7.30 in about 5 weeks due to going to Tri swim coaching sessions (a Massive £25 for 3 months of sessions ;) )

• I agree with the above opinions. I did a weekend training package with swim4tri (Dan Bullock) last year, which included underwater filming. My above water stroke looked really quite good and controlled, but when you looked at the underwater view I was all over the place - I started each stroke by pushing down rather than pulling back, had my lags far too low ing hte water, didn't rotate much, didn't finish off each stroke, had wide, random kicks etc. I'm about 10% faster since then, but hope to take another 10% off this year by following the drills etc.

It's not cheap, but it is worth it. If cost is a problem then get a friend (who's a good swimmer) to go to the pool with you and watch you as you swim past them, then provide feedback on your stroke.

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Another swim4tri advocate here. Did a weekend cause with demo by Dan Bullock, but the course taken by a guy called Ray Gibbs who was excellent.

I honestly thought I had a half decent stroke prior to filming. However, I looked like a drowning pig on camera... I was mortified.

But now I can actually feel how much more efficient my stroke is. Previously I was averaging about 20-22 strokes per length in a 25m pool, just this week I put in a couple of 14s, average about 17-18.

If you can afford it, I can't recommend it enough.
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Guys, where do ye find these courses... Its crazy here in Ireland.. Im on a "waiting list" for 2 months.. Every swim teacher i call is booked out.

I found a "Total Immersion" swim weekend course on.. but I cant afford it.

Nearest 50m pool is an hour away in bad traffic.

IK
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    Thanks for all the advice.

had a quick look on some of the sites and it looks like i'll need to do some travelling as i'm down in wiltshire