Home Chat General Chat

Swimming

Hi everyone

Does anyone think it is worth me building up my swimming fitness 1st and then worry about my tech once i no i can swim the distance.

Comments

• teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    i've got till september and can do about 500meters so far and need to do 1500meters.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    No.

You'll only build bad technique and you won't be engaging the correct muscle groups (unless you're natural of course!). Once you start on the correct technique and using the right muscle groups, you'll realise (as I did), that you're back to square one almost with your swimming fitness.

Even if you just get one or two hours with a coach, it will be well worth it. Always worth asking at your local pool.

• tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    I would suggest doing a mixture of swim training.

Work on different sets - or different days.

You could do 2 days concentrating on distance sets and one day concentrating on drills.

This way you will be able to put your techniques learnt from your drills into practise on your distance sets

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    It really doesn't make sense to just focus on 'getting through the distance' as getting there will take you longer and be more difficult than if you do a little work on technique first. I guarantee it, split your training sessions into 50/50 tech/distance, that's probably the best thing.

Hope this helps.
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    How mant times a week do u think i should be swimming it is by far my weakest disapline have been doing running and cycling races for years.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Gary will tell you every day, but he is not of this earth! He only started properly at the end of last year, and already he's banging out 2km sessions! Animal!

For us mere mortals I'd say as often as you can. If everyday, then at least have a couple of easy relaxed days and at least two or three times a week of quality sessions. I'm aiming for olympic distance in September via 3 sprints in May, june and August. I concentrate on doing shorter sets (between 25m and 400m), with a few time trials over my race distance thrown in every few weeks.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I'm glad i've read this and have just signed up for some one to one coaching as a result - i was just starting to get good at being bad too...

As for how often, well, i try 3 times a week, but will up that to 4 once i have some coaching under my belt so i can practice some proper technique.