Home Chat General Chat

Bye-bye Bike Hut

JulesJules Posts: 987
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article6103398.ece

Halfords is closing Bike Huts and Cycle Republics.

Customers and suppliers not fooled by the branding and not prepared to trust Halfords to buy or sell "premium" bikes I guess.

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Interesting. The snippet I heard on the BBC this morning was that the car side was making a loss, but the bike bit was doing well.

Funnily enough, we went in one for the first time yesterday, looking for an entry level road bike for the missus. The boardman range did look quite nice.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Mmmmm... does this mean massive savings on Condors and Boardmans?

The Bike Hut in Twickenham has had the same full-spec Squadra's and Boardmans just hanging up all year. No-one's buying them.
  • so it was with great reluctance I entered H%!*$#+S to collect my new Boardman Team Carbon, but to my utter astonishment the guys behind the counter were second to none !?!?!?

Extremely knowledgable, friendly and unbiased, and generous when I was given Boardman helmet, when I returned a number of week's later to have a chat about booking the bike in for a service and discussing the niggle's ive noted, again the guys were on the ball........

In the world of huge company's with no customer focus, I've got to fly the flag for the team at Halfords CHATHAM......... although the other surrounding branches have alot to answer for!

Dont give up on seeking good knowledgable folk's to keep your bike on the road, wether they be from the large or small company's
  • I have a meaty workhouse hybrid from Halfrauds - a carrera subway 8 - and I love it to bits!! Weighs a ton due to nexus hib gears but nothing that can go wrong, super reliable and a great bike. In fact had so much fun on it I decided I needed higher gears, slicker tyres, less weight and a little carbon fibre - hence it led me on the path to being a roadie! I still use it to get to work, it's grrrrrrrreat!

I did seriously look at the boardman range - but got such a great deal on a giant I went for that.

Anyway Halfords in Ringwood Road branch Poole are brilliant!!! No complaints. Poole Town Centre do eventually get the job done but you need to slap 'em about a bit first. Shame as PTC is a lot nearer!

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Cycle republic in York was great.

So to is my team carbon.

G