Home Chat General Chat

1st tri

Hi All,

I've entered two triathlons so far this year, one is end of may, the other is mid july. The first is 400m swim, 20k bike, 5k run. The second is 600m swim, 42k bike, 10k run.

My question is if it would be worth while doing a complete run through of the triathlon course as if racing minus the transitions and doing it at less than race pace, a couple of weeks before the events?

The swims are both public pool swims, so easy enough.

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Yeah i would (and have more than once). It means that i know where to hold back (hill around the corner) and when to let the paddles have it. Same for the run.

If you're close enough then i would every single time.

G
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Yeah I've just entered the Plymouth Olympic distance - and I know the course is really hilly!![&:]

so I live here and will be practising the route!

• tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    Super- thought so. Yeah they are both local so distance isn't a problem
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    If I can I ride the course, and continue to do this for races I've done before as it refreshes the memory of where you can let rip, where you need to think about gearing and where you need to start thinking about preparing for T2.

Failing that I'll try and at least drive the course to get a bit of a feel for it.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Definately worth it. I've done the bike course of a tri local to me that I am doing in June.

Very useful, it showed me that the "small hill" as described is in fact (by the standards of what I'm used to) a very large and steep hill indeed [:D]
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Recently did the bike course of one I'm doing at the end of May and it really helped put my mind at rest. Knowing the hills, downhills, flats and bends is a big bonus imo. It's given me plenty of time to work on a strategy, gearing etc..
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Definitely do it. I didn't ride the course before my first (and only) tri 3 years ago and the marshalls had to leap out infront of me at the turning to T2 as I was haring straight past it!! Quite hilarious really and the nearest thing I'll ever get to a handbrake turn on a bike!

I'm doing the same tri in 3 weeks time and I've already cycled the course twice and intend to do it at least one more time before I compete.
  • Its good to know cycling the course first helps.

I'm riding the Windsor course on Sunday and hopefully a couple more times before June.

Hoping it is as flat as I've been told because I am the slowest cyclist ever and hills don't help!
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    How do you find out the route for the Race?
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    How do you find out the route for the Race?

It will prob be on there website.

Def do it - there's nothing like being prepared!!

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    @graham33 aaaaaaarrghhhh! i'm entered for the plymouth oly too, exactly HOW hilly are we talking, bike or run? Or indeed, both? i really should check these things you know....

I'm really quite good at hills though. its really only travelling at any sort of speed i have problems with....