Home Chat General Chat

Drafting in OD triathlons

I've only done a sprint distance triathlon's in the past and I was watching an olympic distance on the TV the other day and they were drafting which I thought was not permitted.

Is it permitted in OD triathlons?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Some allow it and some don't I think?
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    If you're elite then you can draft as much as you like! Age Grouper - then no unless you are complying with the drafting rules, and grabbing some respite while overtaking. Or catching a draft while dropping back, having been overtaken (always forget that one!!!). Sure someone here is capable of sprouting the full R&R piece!

My cynical-self has seen some horrendous drafting (please replace with cheating!) going on at some races. Unfortunately, on some multi-lap courses with so many people on the route it is impossible not to draft to some extent.

It's cheating yourself by drafting, however cheating to beat someone else......................... well.............only if it's not a fellow 220 forum-er! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    I think pro's at sprint and olympic distance shouldn't be allowed to draft.

It makes the race boring and the bike leg is then nothing more than a means from getting between T1 and T2.

If you can swim well then your gona tuck yourself into the pack on the bike then get off the bike feeling fresh then run your little legs off to do a 30min 10k.... and win.

I would like to see some of these pro's do our level of racing... and see how they do over the longer distances where the bike is the important leg!

This is what is stopping me to try and become a pro.... I wouldn't be able to stay with the first pack of gomez, don, clarke and brownlee etc (although my swim coach is the guy who taught will, rosie and Alastair to swim!) therefore not be in the mix come the run....

Age Group racing should be given more coverage than it does. As we all have jobs/family life etc to work around then include training at some point in the day too.

My rant is over! now im off to prepare my kit for Sunday's race:)
  • Thanks very much very useful, and slighty bitter answers.... [:D]

JP
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I would love to see some proper elite time trial triathlon events. Particularly over the short distance races as I think logistically and as a spectacle it would work.

How they would set it-up would be interesting. I would suggest fastest swimmers first, going at 2 min intervals. Say 50 competitors.

I've always loved the Tour De France TT stuff, where you see the lead changing all the time at different parts of the course. Having witness the London prologue stage, I can't help but think it would be a massive event.

A real triathlete would win as they would have to be solid if not spectacular in each discipline and not sit in for the ride. Maybe these types of events would help mould the draft-legal events too, with athletes developing their bike skills and being able to break-off the front meaningfully in OD races.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Draft legal races sound very dull.

The most fun I had in my race on Sunday was overtaking quite a few people on the bike and leaving them behind. (Yes quite a few of them went past me again on the run). Just sitting in a large group of riders drafting would diminish the appeal somewhat.