Home Chat General Chat

road Bike position with clip on aero

What you guys think.. trying to get a good position on my bike.

Ive attached aero bars (Profile)

Ive adjust seat angle and moved seat forward..

Been adjusting all day, feels comfortable..

Using software trial version i found online hooked up to my web cam. bike on turbo trainer..

any advice is welcome..

[image]local://3101/BB616F3D13934564AB49BFFBB3AD77D7.jpg[/image]

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Not too bad, you'll never get a "perfect" aero posn with a road bike due to the geometry but thats not too bad.

However, your back could be flatter but and as you seem to have a good leg position I would mess too much with your saddle.

Are the bars as low as they can go?

What distance are you training for?

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    i can go another 10mm lower with the handlebars..

Im only training for sprints.. but Im just testing to see if i can get the aero position for olympic distance, and some long bike rides ill be going on (100k +)

should I return the bike to road bike standard for a sprint?
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    No, go as aero as you can for a sprint as comfort is not tooooo much of an issue. Obviously comfort is a major part of LD triathlon so make sure you can hack it in the aero posn you have set up.
    here i am with 10mm lower.. Its the lowest I can go.

should I rotate the original handlebars to have the gear shifters/brakes higher? With the seat forward, they are so low.?

[image]local://3101/148BCE9731744340970D2C58AAA05257.jpg[/image]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Looks as though it is erring on the side of comfort, rather than flat out aero.

c.f. this picture of treefrog^WThe Hutch. This is from a 10Mile TT...

[image]local://2493/60A49E1402BC46F585E6CFFB7B16A8DE.jpg[/image]

Not sure if you have the length... The back is flatter - need length for that - both in the frame and in the bars/extension to get the flatter arms.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi ironkav

I have a road bike with profile t2 aerobars, i've fitted an adjustable (angle) stem that enables me to actually drop the bars lower than with a standard stem. Took it to a bike shop today and the guy has set it up for me with very low bars. The setup i have now is about as close as i can get to a TT setup on a standard road bike (although i could shift the saddle forward more - that's the next step!).

I'll post pics tomorrow when i get on the turbo - you may find them of interest.

G
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    ironkav, you could try flipping your stem over, from the looks of the picture it is pointing up quite a bit. If you can, flip it over and you will get your bars a lot lower
  • Your biggist issue is the hight of the arm rests above the bar centre.

As mentioned by agent_ti you could flip your stem to get a bit lower but as you have said yourself you will probably have to change the position of your levers or rotate the bars.

Also if you can move the extensions further forward to get a little more stretched out that may help.

Before making any more changes use some masking tape on the bars and stem and mark the current positon and then make small changes each time till you find a happy medium.

As you are mainly looking at shorter distance events you don't want to compromise your position too much towards more aero when you need to think more of power output.

The pic is of me on a training ride on my old TT bike which had a 74 deg seat tube. The low position is only achieved because of the 9cm head tube and Easton aero bars with a low arm rest position but I did add another 5mm spacer for the ironman distance (IM NZ 2007).

[image]local://793/B824BC49C3CA4C5FA8D0203EEE667156.jpg[/image]
  • GGGG Posts: 82
    Evening,

I have a road bike too. Been messing around with my tri bars for over a year trying to get things as perfect as reasonably possible, however a couple of days ago I decided I had enough and wazzed them off. As a result im getting much more power down on the drops and going faster with less effort.

Also being a spinner rather than a big gear pusher I feel much more stable on the drops especially when one arm steering whilst changing gear.

Like Ironman NZ said if your going long thats the time to think aero with a TT bike. Go have a wizz round on your drops and see if it works for you.

GG

• Just noticed on your pics that you haven't got the front wheel raised up on the turbo.

Stick some old mags or something under the front so its the same as the rear as this will make quite a difference to how the position feels while changing your set up.
    Hi all,

Thanks for the responses..

Ive switched the stem.. and it lowered it another inch or so.. My back is alot flatter.. ive attached another pic..

its getting closer to what i want.

Good point about the front wheel never thought about that.

[image]local://3101/BB6B88D305EB420F933303FF316C6D60.jpg[/image]
    jaysus thats a huge photo.. lol..

dont ride barefoot by the way very sore..
    That looks pretty convincing. What does it feel like. A problem that I have is that my power drops when I get really aero...

Remember to keep your head up when racing!

[And remember to hold that stomach in when posing for photos. ho ho. [:)]]
    haha, hold stomach in.. CHECK! (should of seen it 3 stone ago)

ill be honest.. dont know what power ill output yet.. ill know tomorrow.

Head up... CHECK also.

(funny fecker)
  • That looks ok.

You could probably rotate the bars back a bit (anti-clockwise) so bringing your lever hoods up a bit.

Now that looks to be dialed its time to look at the width adjustment on the arm rests if you have any. Aim to have your elbows in line with your knees but not so narrow as to restrict your breathing. The latter will be easier on the road than on the turbo too.
    just spend 45 mins on turbo in aero position..

found i need the handles a bit higher.. and yes need to widen them..

will adjust tommorrow and repost after my training...

I didnt notice any reduction in power, in fact it was same or better..

IK
    It sounds like you're already done but for the benefit of the thread here's a picture of my adjustable stem (its the angle that's adjustable), it allows me to drop the bars far lower than the frame would normally permit. ITs obviously not ideal but cheaper than a new frame!

[image]local://2838/2FA32390797D4264BF8814F2ACA2380C.jpg[/image]
    Oh...and here's me......trying to suck my belly in!

Right leg up:

[image]local://2838/70FAD66DB7DA4AFB8154FDB0A38682C2.jpg[/image]
    Oh...and here's me......trying to suck my belly in!

Left leg up:

[image]local://2838/C2FDC463D36342589A20419D5AE5AB26.jpg[/image]
    Dear all

Is my leg too straight on that last one? Do i need to lower the saddle at all??
  • It's borderline but as long as the postition of your knee over pedal axle with the crank in the horizontal is correct then it shouldn't give you any problems.

Just found this out of interest, it goes over a lot of what's allready been said in a comprehensive way.

http://www.andoverwheelers.com/Documents\Erics_bike_set_up_instructions.htm

Going to check out my set up on all 3 bikes today as I have had some slight knee pain out on the new road frame the last two rides.

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the pic post. The adjustable stem is ideal. Also solves my problem of where to fit my computer.. lol (the curved back means i would have to put it sideways).

Nice bike by the way.. :)

how much further forward did the stem allow you to go? Did you find yourself over stretching at all or was it comfortable.

Think this thread along with pics will help a lot of people.

IK
    Gary's Photo:

So that's why you bought conehead's book!
    ok so here is me again, with the stem reversed, and the tri bars rotated back slightly. Ive rotated the main handlebars to bring the brakes and shifters higher and closer.

ive also widened the tri bars, to the same width as my knees as instructed, the minor changes made some huge difference, feel more comfortable now and im lower, no change in power that ive noticed.

IK

[image]local://3101/D2270D5C774147038EDCBD55F8EA6851.jpg[/image]
    and heres the handlebars + tri bars..

[image]local://3101/B880EBC058D3416396777B6EAAB222C1.jpg[/image]
    So that's why you bought conehead's book!

@ JH Don't tell him!
    how much further forward did the stem allow you to go? Did you find yourself over stretching at all or was it comfortable.

The stem i have now (the adjustable) is longer overall than the previous one but the extra drop actually acts to reduce overall reach i think (if that makes sense). To put it another way, if i were to just level off my stem now it would have the effect of increasing the distance from saddle to bars.

Just for more info, i have adjusted my saddle so that it is as far forward as possible, this helps i think, and if i were to do anything else to adjust basic setup it would be to get another seatpost that has a forward offset type thingy (tech term).

I only had the bike setup like this yesterday and it does feel a little different (due to the extra drop), but it doesn't feel over stretched. I've been out for a short spin today (most of it T1 practise to be honest) but i'm liking it a lot, even when not in the aero position, it feels a lot better.

I can't really offer you any advice on your pic because i'm unqualified! I like the tri-bars, next job is to get some tape on them to save your hands from falling off!

makes sense alright. im sure there will be more adjusting in the future.. cant afford any more accessories til next months pay cheque, but ill probably get some adjustable stem next.. i can afford some tape though.. :-)
    i got mine from the LBS but i think its this one:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=9023

[image]local://2838/79776A94A95E41128F9CD6FF16CFD43C.jpg[/image]
    What length? 90mm 100mm or 130mm