Home Chat General Chat

Wetsuit for lake swim - Orca S2

Given that it's £50 to rent, plus postage etc. was wondering if anyone knew mych about the Orca S2 - I can get one for £85 - surely better to try that and (just in case I don't enjoy tri) then sell it, rather than throw money away renting?? I know if you rent you can buy later, at a discount.

My LBS (which by lucky coincidence is also a LTriS) has the Orca Equip for £127.50 at the mo too.

I plan to stay at sprint distance for a bit (I know, thats what they ALL say)

Thoughts please?

Comments

• hey jellybelly (by the way these jelly beans are my favourite ever sweet!)

I have just got one of these and for entry level they're great. I find it quite tight on the neck but to be honest i think this is just because im not used to wetsuits full stop as all of my tris have been pool based.

this suit is very cheap and maybe you follow my thinking - can always upgrade later. Im doing the one bit of kit at a time thing and upgrading stuff as I get better. let me know what you think of it if you get it. x
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    They had a review in Triathlon Plus magazine this month (first issue) and the Equip got a good result. Might be worth checking this out if you're in the market. They gave the Aqua Sphere Ironman Pursuit a best buy entry level suit though "...Definitely the best of the low range suits on test". I was looking at one of these myself - Wiggle have it at £123
  • The aqua sphere does look good but wiggle don't seem to have a lady version and I suspect that my lady bumps will need some space! I'll have a google and see if anyone else has the female version - I probably should have mentioned that I'm a girl at the start!

Tri uk are doing a buy/rent deal for £25 rent then £50 if you want to buy on a foor HQ1 - so £75 in total to keep (which almost seems TOO cheap...)

http://triuk.com/web/index.php/Hire-Wetsuits/Hire-Wetsuit-Foor-HQ1/flypage-ask.tpl.html

I have spent way too much this month so I'll think on it for a week or two - I'm so near the sea though I just want to go for a dip! Maybe should brave it in just my cossie, think how accustomed I'll be by July (brrrr)

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    I recently got an Orca equip - which was reduced to £105, it seems to fit well and is comfortable but I haven't been able to get out for a swim in it yet - i have some open water coaching sessions at the end of June so it will get a real work out there. but in testing it for waterproof, comfort etc (in the shower) it seemed good.
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    hey Jellybelly...i've got an orca s2...got it last year and I've worn it to one race (sea) and tested it out a few times...i think it's fine for newbie....i've got ladeee bumps as well and it seems to fit fine...little tight for my liking but hey you can't do tris without showing everyone your figure[;)]

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    It got an 8/10 rating in 220.

G
  • CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    Swam in my S2 earlier today for the first time.Was great!. admittedly im new to wetsuits but after the initial shock of the cold it kept me really nice and warm!, only problem i had was it rubbed my neck a little bit but hopefully some vaseline or aquaglide will sort that out.Wont give it a scoring as i have no comparison but will certainly do me for the time being!
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    jellybelly wrote:

Tri uk are doing a buy/rent deal for £25 rent then £50 if you want to buy on a foor HQ1 - so £75 in total to keep (which almost seems TOO cheap...)

Hmm...I suspect that means you are getting a used suit, but then again, if you've hired it and worn it, you'll know if it's in good nick or not.