Home Chat General Chat

Bike transition: getting shoes on?

Whats your email addy? Ill do some now and send you so pics!

Comments

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    is there any way of posting these photos on here for everyone?

cheers
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I've got my first event of the year next week, a duathlon at Marlow, and I've set aside time this weekend to run up and down practising transitions!

This year I would like to learn the art of leaving-my-shoes-on-the-bike. You know, just like the pros![:D]

I remember hearing that you set the bike shoes up on the pedals with elastic bands to hold them in place.

Does anyone have any photos of how best to do this?

Any other tips? Photo examples much appreciated!
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Im not sure..... Whenever I try to put photos on they dont show..... I could put some up on my blog then post the link on here for everyone to look at?? would that be better??
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Have a look at this video, nicely shown on here at around 2:25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e19fN9FdWbw
    Very good vid there, basically explains what to do but if anyone still needs stills etc let me know and ill email them!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Thanks agent thats great.

@hussler - yeah forums are always a little strange to get things posted.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    i cant show how to transition,thats something your going to have to learn but i do know something that will make it a lot easier.Specialized s-works shoes,ive got a pair of s-works shoes,there fantastic,very confortable and there idiel for this sort of stuff,even tho im a time-trialist and and dont do triathlon i do know a few triathletes and they say it perfect for transitioning,they have a special system to tighten your shoes,you wind them up to tighten,takes no time at all and you wind back a little bit and they untighten strait away,they are £170 although you can get them off the tri store for £153(http://www.thetristore.com/view_product.asp?product=1302&make=Specialized&brand=6) but they can shave lots of time when transitioning and are deffinently worth considering.here the link for more details http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=40323&eid=342

[image]http://www.thetristore.com/newproductsthumbs/sworksroad08.jpg[/image]
    I have a pair of these shoes, but mainly use them for road racing and general training, but trying to get them on in a hurry in transition is difficult. The opening isnt that big, and they don't dry quickly when they get that wet. Also they have no loop on the back to help get your feet in and for elastic bands in T1. A better option, if youre solely looking at tris is to get their Trivent shoes, which have a single big reverse strap and loop to get on easily and will dry quickly, and you can still use the BG inserts
    I have a pair of these too! but I only use them for cycling... as they can be tricky to slot on whilst attached to the pedals... and also you cannot fasten them up easily with elastic bands... Great shoe though!

For Tri's I used a pair of Northwave Tribals last season and have now just bought a pair of specialized Tri vent shoes.... from the tri store for £80. First outing in them will be this weekend, these will be my Tri only race shoe:) Otherwise ill be using the ones posted above for TT's and general riding!
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Whats your email addy?  Ill do some now and send you so pics!

Can you post the pics on here so we can all see?

[8|]

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    hussler wrote:

Whats your email addy?  Ill do some now and send you so pics!

PM sent.

Excellent youTube link. It's now downloaded, converted, and on my iPod![:)]
    Gary - I have tried but the pics never show up!!! I see your from Telford... I work just down the road at Cosford....
  • The shoes in pedals thing is very difficult to master and even the pros get it wrong. I was watching the repeats of last years corus series and quite a few of them struggled with this in transitiion and lost a lot of ime. in my opinion unless you're very confident and have done it many times before then i wouldnt bother.

I know what im like and if i trid in in comp id probabl be the one falling over the other cyclists which wouldnt be very popular!! for this reason i just put shoes on then run. even though its not as quick.

that is a great youtube link though!! very detailed. i think will practise the elastic bands but i cant see myself using them this season!!! or in a tight transition area.

x
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Good point..the pros get a largely uncluttered transition & still get it wrong, those of us in the trenches get no such luxury...I have never tried nor can I see me either...I am too girly to run without socks so it would be pointless anyway!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I think it is worth a try though, of course with sufficient preparation and practice.

I wouldn't bother if its HIM or longer distance, or if it's a non drafting olympic.

But in sprint or olympic races that allow drafting, those few seconds gained in T1 can mean the difference of making that great bike pack or not. Exiting T1 3 seconds behind a few others can be closed with an effort, 10 seconds alone will be merely impossible to close the gap if they can ride too!

• oh yeah i mean id love to be able to do i just think i'd need a lot of practice and by a lot i mean.. maybe years!! im generally a bit clumsy and that doesnt help...x
  • nice one!........

although, I can see myself being the doughnut that tie's his feet up and fall's flat on his fizzog the moment I step off the bike in T2
    I have emailed gunforhire a few pics of how to fasten shoes to the bike and how I get my feet into the shoes.....

He says he will get them on here seems as it wont let me do it!

It does take alot of practise but is well worth it when you get it right.

Hi Guys and Girls

I have just been to Staples for the second time in the last 35mins to buy some suitable elastic bands (got the wrong one's first time), i know wits basic but to save anyone from doing the same as me, buy the #16 bands, not bigger or smaller......

Bigger one's won't snap! Smaller one's won't do the job.

#16 Rubber Bands approx. £2 from staples.

[:D]

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    cheers gary

Hows everyone trying this finding it? ive been practising without the rubber bands and am really surprised at how easy it is! Although oi have issues getting the shoes really tight after but seeing as my feet go numb anyway it doesnt really matter!
    Dont worry about getting your shoes tight after getting them on... just fasten the strap across.

Longs your feet dont slip out the shoes, which they shouldnt do if they are the right size, you will be fine. I oftens only have one foot fully strapped in! Just concentrate on getting power down and leaving everyone behind :)
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Just remember to make sure you leave your shoes un-velcroed and with the tongue lifted and loosened.

I forgot today at the Winchester Sprint. What a numpty. I've never had a problem with getting into my shoes on the bike (but then I've never left them done up) but today I cycled for about 5 mins wobbling around fighting with the damned things before thinking "Sod it!" and getting off the bike to do it properly. My worst T1 ever without a doubt.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it just reduces the chances that you'll do something stupid.
    Hows everyone trying this finding it?

I've just spent an hour practising the jump-on-and-slide-feet-in-shoes thing, and apart from scratching every panel of my shiny new shoes everything went surprisingly well! The elastic bands are working fine, i can jump on without and crushing pains! and get my feet in very quickly.

Its all good.

I also practised getting out of the shoes and jumping off the bike, which also went well. I added to that slipping my runners on just to make it feel as real as possible, first time i did it i left my helmet on!

Actually laughed at myself!
    Thanks for the tip about the size of elastic bands gary, went and brought myself some from staples today. However they didn't have any small packs, so I have 2 and a half thousand rubber bands sitting by my bike! Should last me a while...