Home Chat General Chat

numb toes on the bike

md6md6 Posts: 969
Hi just a quick question I went out in my tri shoes on the bike today and after about 15 miles or so, i found that my toes were starting to go numb, but only in one foot. Is this because my shoes are too tight/small or is there another reason for this? The shoes feel really comfy and don't feel to tight or small.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Mate it happens now and again.

It could be multiple things, but its nothing to worry about.

I put mine down to bad circulation
  • like jelly legs i have poor circulation and this happens often to me, but i know a lot of people who, even though they have no specific circulation problem, still get numb toes on a cycle every now and again. i dont think there's a reason really, it may be vibrations though?

anyway don't worry at all about it. x
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Thanks, thats eased my worries. I'll chalk it up to experience.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Cycling shoes are so different to other shoes - hard, rigid platform. The pressure is also pretty constant - always in exactly the same place, unlike walking/running, where every contact is slightly different.

I think everyone gets numb at some point. But, your feet spread a lot - and each foot is a slightly different size, so a long cycling ride tends to exacerbate the difference. Cycling shoes (especially italian ones) tend to be quite narrow - so this can cause a problem.

So, make sure they are not too tight - but the more you do the better it gets!

I've had to stop at 40m before now - take the shoes off, and apply serious massage before being able to continue!
  • pippip Posts: 170
    I`ve had this problem for years and find it eases slighly when i wiggle my toes when cycling and running.This may sound quite strange and not quite right but i find it helps a tad