Home Chat General Chat

Nutrition - how much of a difference for sprints?

I've been training now for a few months. Its all going reasonably well but my attention has turned to nutrition and i have a few questions.

First and foremost, just how much of a difference does the right nutrition make (for a sprint)?

And not just on the day, but the week prior to the event?

Assuming it makes a difference (and i would guess that it does) then what is best practice?

If i have to arrive at say, 8am, and the race begins at 10:30am then what would you recommend?

What about during the race?

So, as you can see, i'm just trying to get your collective opinions and experiences on nutrition and its effects.

Would love to hear back from you all.

G

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Prior to the event: A lot. Not sure what the state of the art is, but good old carb loading a day or two or three out is probably still the case.

On an event: Depends on the duration.. < 1hr, nothing required, even hydration, > 1hr you might think about hydration, + some extra carbs. > 2hrs, you need to feed + drink for sure.

A little and often - before you get hungry... In practice, the bike leg is the point for feeding... a drink or two on a run leg, if it is > 10K.

But, everyone is different - something you have to work out for yourself. All part of the fun.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Try to avoid eating foods that are going to repeat on you,the beef,onion,and mustard sandwich I had for lunch 3hrs before a race was a bad mistake,keep it plain,keep it simple,to avoid the technicolour display that would be worthy of a place in the gallery on 'Vision On'.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I'm a veggie and i've just been laughed at by "someone in the know" for having a salad for lunch a bananna just before then doing 1 3/4 hour ride and wondering why i was struggling when i got over around the hour mark....

Perhaps i've got a lot to learn about the dreaded nutrition question!![;)]

After i was suitably repremanded - i tried a couple of enery gels and although could def do with something decent (carbs? protein?) for lunch i was flying all the way home!

I'm planning on eating loads of pasta & protein for the few days befpre, porridge for brekkie and a couple of gels (20mins before and 20 mins into ride).

p.s. Gary - i should probably be visiting your "wall of shame" in the very near future [:D]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Chick Peas! Lentils! turtle beans! etc. etc. etc.
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Heres what I have eaten prior to this mornings duathlon.....

Last Sunday to Friday, anything I fancied this included chips, chinky, pizza lol

Sat night a small pasta dish with a chicken breast in tomato and herb sauce.

Breakfast this morning - bowl of fruit and fibre. 300ml of High 5 isotonic between 8am and 9am.

During race was about 200ml of High 5 Isotonic. all on the bike. Non on run.

ill not bother carb loading unless im doing a Half IM plus distance, even then ill only eat a usual size portion and not bloat myself.

Dont worry about nutrition for sprints, eat what you are comfortable with and something that doesnt repeat or upset you. Avoid spicy or anything with a 'kick' in or you ll be sh*tting through the eye of a needle the morning of the race because of nerves.

you shouldnt need gels or energy bars for a sprint. you have plenty of energy stored in your body already for the 'short' time you will be out.

As Conehead says, a good night sleep, 2nights prior to the event, and the usual breakfast you eat every day is better than awake all night and fish and chips for breakfast.:)
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    For all my sprints to date I've had a light brekkie ~2h before the race (banana & yoghurt/muesli) and just taken energy drink on the bike - I set my computer to bleep every 10 minutes and have a decent slurp each time it does.

This year I'm thinking of just having water and taking a gel towards the end of the bike leg.

I cut out booze and eat sensibly in the week leading up to the race, don't bother carb-loading as for sprint distance there should be enough in the tank to suffice.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    its all good info guys, thanks[;)]
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    If you eat a healthy diet anyway i dont think it will make a lot of diference nutritional wise for a sprint.

Race day I would have a couple of rounds of toast and honey with tea plus large glass of water

30 mins prior to start I would have a 250ml can of RedBull plus 250ml of water

Then have a 500ml bottle of energy drink (or if hot day Isotonic drink instead) on the bike which probably wouldnt get touched untill last 5 minutes on Bike, then nothing until the finish.

This is tried and tested and works for me. So cant guarantee that it would suit other folks.

This kind of stuff is usefull to practise in race day scenarios during training.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Race day I would have a couple of rounds of toast and honey

In 220 this month, there is a big article about pre race meals, and they say this is a big no no.

As others have said, eat a health diet, and on race day think about what you would do if you were going out for an 1 .30 minutes training.

Bet you wouldnt eat toast, well i wouldnt anyway.

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Jelly legs wrote:

I would, and do. It works for me.

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Jelly legs wrote:

In 220 this month, there is a big article about pre race meals, and they say this is a big no no.

As others have said, eat a health diet, and on race day think about what you would do if you were going out for an 1 .30 minutes training.

Like I said in my original post "this is tried and tested and works for me"

Would even go for an extra round before a 4 hour bike ride
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278

Guys with all due respect,

a round of toast before a 1.30 minute training session or a sprint tri is going to have zero effect on your ability to train or race effectivly.

Its a fact that FOOD=ENERGY.

It really is as simple as that, you might say it works for me, and thats cool, but is it the toast giving you the energy or your tea the night before or the energy drink your taking.

And as for having toast before 4 hour ride, i dont believe that for 1 sec. you would never last the distance, unless you mean your riding about a mile in 4 hours.

You need to feed on the distance of ride. FACT

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Jelly legs wrote:

FACT

It must be true then........[8|]

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    On race day - normal brekkie of podge with nuts and raisins & banana

Wait a few minutes ... and then unload in the safety of home/b+b/place of refuge (I've seen what folk like Conehead do to the portaloos at events [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m15.gif[/image]

for sprint - water on bike or iso drink

for OD - water/iso drink on bike and one or two gels, sip water in run if needed

nothing fancy needed for sprint & OD. If you have a good healthy diet then this should suffice come race day.

no booze for a few days before and a good night's kip.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Jelly legs wrote:

Guys with all due respect,

a round of toast before a 1.30 minute training session or a sprint tri is going to have zero effect on your ability to train or race effectivly.

Its a fact that FOOD=ENERGY.

It really is as simple as that, you might say it works for me, and thats cool, but is it the toast giving you the energy or your tea the night before or the energy drink your taking.

And as for having toast before 4 hour ride, i dont believe that for 1 sec. you would never last the distance, unless you mean your riding about a mile in 4 hours.

You need to feed on the distance of ride. FACT

I am newish to all this exercise but I can do a 40 mile undulating bike ride starting at 9-am at an average speed of about 17MPH on two slices of toast with butter ... admittedly I do have a sports drink on the bike along with a slice or 2 of soreen midway.

I think its down to you personally - up until this year I never ate anything before midday .. couldn't stomach it, I am now gradually eating earlier in the day.

I did my first duathlon earlier this year on 2 slices of toast and a banana ... and beat my estimated time by 8 minutes.

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Plenty of opinion in here already, so the only thing useful I can think to add is, don't try anything untested on race day! Don't drink or eat anything you haven't tried before going for a ride, or you might find it bounces...[:-]
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    18 opinions so far!

I agree that nutrition is not going to make much difference for a sprint. Just eat what you usually would. I would follow Conehead's general advice. No alcohol on race weekend, get a good night's kip and don't worry about it.

I would also keep hydrated from a few days out, just drink a bit more water than usual.

Oh, and another thing, remember nerves will be sending you to the loo every couple of minutes pre-race. Don't drink too much red bull or coffee or this particular problem will be even worse!