Home Chat General Chat

Olympic distance first triathlon

I started on triathlons last year, I've done two sprints and I'm stepping up to an olympic this year. I'm really enjoying the training but I cannot imagine doing an olympic with out doing a couple of sprints.

You learn a great deal from them and you also get to meet people who you can talk too.

Comments

• [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I'm considering doing an Olympic distance as my first triathlon.

Is this a good idea? Would it be sensible to do a sprint first?

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Of course its do-able, my brother did his first triathlon in 2005 and it was Ironman UK, my first tri was an olympic and my first OW swim was my first tri.

OK, so most people would advise that you start off with shorter events but if you're fit enough and ready to put the training in any distance is do-able first time round.

Alot of people do an Olympic as their first tri, (usualy london) so its not as crazy as you think.

Enjoy........

• SamRSamR Posts: 19
    The first Triathlon I signed up for was London Olympic, although I have also signed up for Crystal palace sprint in may for a bit of practice. I'm a pretty fit 23yr old though so I don't thnik it'll be that hard to get round, I don't think i'll set any records though.

It depends on your fitness really, if you are reasonablly fit, ok at swimming and do a fair amount of training (I do around 10 hours a week) you should be fine on an olympic distance - Not that i'm by any means an expert!

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Im new to the game and decided upon 2 sprints before venturing to an Olympic, this was mostly to get used to the environment and setup.... but i reckon I could have completed an olympic in decent time for my first event. So im saying yes, do it, as long as you are prepared.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Thanks for the replies people.

Think I'm gonna sign up for the Bath Olympic in July.

Does anyone know of a sprint close to Bristol in June?

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    WEYMOUTH SPRINT 7TH of June
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    even better for you mate

Burnham-on-sea has one early june

thats stright down m5 about 30 mins probably