Home Chat General Chat

Bike on Holiday

I hired. And because my bike was so old and rubbish, the one I hired was actually better. Made me realise I needed to get a new one!

Really, if you are not racing, then any bike can be worth it for a training session. You just need to pick the right type of session!

Comments

• pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    did you just hire a regular 'holiday' bike?
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    Hi all,

Busy training for my first Tri for over six years -and how things have changed - i'm feeling well out of the loop!!!

Anyway, has anybody ever taken their bike on their family holiday and was it a logistic nightmare? We're flying to south coast of Spain, and whilst BA allow 1 x bike per passenger its the getting to and from the airport that would seem to be the issue?

I suppose the options are:

a. Go without it and just concentrate on swimming and running

b. Try and hire / borrow a bike locally - does anybody know of howi could do this?

c. Dismatle bike into small bits and try and get in the car

Thanks

Pat

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It was quite a reasonable MTB - reasonable spec (cannondale IIRC), front suspension, reasonably well serviced, not many miles done on it.

Spain is pretty bike friendly - you may be able to google around a bit for some reasonable hire places.

It certainly beats the stress of trying to transport your trusty steed - with all the worries of it getting damaged/lost etc.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    It depends. Baggage handlers are notoriously heavy-handed, so if you do take your bike make sure you pack her ridiculously well. I've flown my surfboard with me for many years and the charges can be astronomical-more than the flight sometimes!!

I've slowly come to the conclusion that its much less hassle to hire when you get there. less stress, less to transport etc. And there are some very tidy bikes/boards available to hire at these places.

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    PS it makes me so annoyed when BA will take bikes, ski's and snowboards but have decided to start refusing surfboards Grrrrr! [:@]