Home› Chat› General Chat

Becoming Obsessed Anyone....

Yesterday I was in the pub with my girlfriend and some friends. At one point she saw me with my head down and accused me of nodding off.

Sheepishly I had to admit that I was actually mentally running through swim strokes and breathing timings, hence my unusual "head under water" sitting position.....I think I'm becoming obsessed :-)

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    "becoming obsessed" is far too present tense for me [:D]
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    I think once you get into tri you become obsessed anyway, I am always thinking of my next training section and feel realy bad when I miss a training run or bike ride .
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Mmmmm, let me think for a minute about this........(oh.....and just to mention that to think about this i have to stop thinking about:

my run route later,

and yesterdays swim session,

and how breathing every two is screwing my form - but keeping me stronger,

and my sore hamstring that is stopping me working on the bike as hard as i might like,

and the fact i need some tri-cycle shoes sharpish,

because without them i'm going to be a right mess in T1 & T2,

but the cost is beginning to cause issues with the WAT woman,

and that i haven't practised any transitions yet and first tri is less than 2 weeks away,

and that i should be tiling the new bathroom but i'm on here!

anyway, obsessed? Noooooo. Because that doesn't do it justice, my mind has been taken over by thoughts of triathlon related stuff, i wake up and think about training, i go to bed and think about the quality of my sleep (as it will impact on my training), i go to work and talk about tri......

.....but a tip, don't bore the pants off those who don't care. Keep it to yourself, its our little secret [;)]
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Last night I dreamed that I took off my wetsuit in T1 and found that I'd forgotten to put my tri suit underneath.......my first triathlon anxiety dream. Not sure if that's obsession but it seems worryingly close enough.
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Yes Im obsessed.. Crave the training and the next race.

The best thing I find is to just schedule my week every sunday. That way I know if I am on target or not. If I get that craving feeling or thought that I am behind my training I check the list.. If im on target i relax, if not I scream and jump on my bike. :-)
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Juleso - That's brilliant. I dreamt I was training last week and woke up thinking oh-oh that's a bit odd!

Gary - I look forward to scaling the heights of your obsession, I don't think it'll be long before I join you up there.

As I was leaving for my swim this morning my girlfriend asked "You're not going to get obsessed with this triathlon thing are you?".....Ummmmmmm Yes :-)
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I prefer to think of it as a healthy enthusiasm, but here's what I do every morning when I log on at work

1. Open training schedule, mark completed sessions green, uncompleted red, then if possible re-schedule red sessions.

2. Open my training times spreadsheet, entering distance and time which then automatically calculates projected sprint and olympic distance times and displays previous sessions speed and distance graphically.

3. Compare the times I have projected against last years results for the 4 tri's I've signed up for and see where I would have come.

4. Log on to 220forum read all posts I haven't viewed previously.

5. Browse Wiggle, see if there's anything I can put in my basket.

6. Start work (about an hour after arriving).

Lunch follows a similar pattern depending whether I've gone for a run.

That's not obsessive is it...? Oh god.
  • 'Obsessed' - a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

But the answer is definitely yes, I always hit Sunday evening after completing a good week of training and then can't really concentrate on much (even my girlfriend when in bed!) for trying to mentally schedule in my 13 Ironman training sessions the following week around work/her/life in general. Sometimes I have to resort to getting the pen out and jotting down the schedule (usually on the back of a 220!) just to set my mind at ease that I can manage them all.

I also love Flavadaves comments about what he does at work. I have a similar spreadsheet, although I use Orange for those sessions that i've cross trained (ie done something but not what I was supposed to - due to illness/travelling etc), and red sessions I try not to mark on for as long as possible as I usually manage to catch them up (no reds yet and in week 15!).

The funny thing is as the obsessoin creeps over you you can't really tell you are different. Only when asked to join some of my colleagues out this lunch and on Thursday for drinks and having to decline both for training reasons (needed to get malt loaf this lunch for afternoon snacks before training as well as hitting boots for some 'after swim' shampoo and then Thursday can't do drinking as I need to get a run in), did I realise that this has no longer become the exception - but rather the rule.

Ah well, bring on August the 2nd.
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    Don't worry we all have dreams like that before our first time.
  • CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    Hi My name is Chris

And im an addict!

Im just trying to figure out how many times i can read 220 each month waiting for the next issue without it becoming plain wierd. And how many times can i fantasise about new bikes before seeking professional help?
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    I love topis'c like these, it proves

YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Flavadave wrote:

I prefer to think of it as a healthy enthusiasm, but here's what I do every morning when I log on at work

1. Open training schedule, mark completed sessions green, uncompleted red, then if possible re-schedule red sessions.

2. Open my training times spreadsheet, entering distance and time which then automatically calculates projected sprint and olympic distance times and displays previous sessions speed and distance graphically.

3. Compare the times I have projected against last years results for the 4 tri's I've signed up for and see where I would have come.

4. Log on to 220forum read all posts I haven't viewed previously.

5. Browse Wiggle, see if there's anything I can put in my basket.

6. Start work (about an hour after arriving).

Lunch follows a similar pattern depending whether I've gone for a run.

That's not obsessive is it...? Oh god.

Flavadave,

you got a copy of that training schedule you could email me? I've been wanting to get a decent schedule for ages but idea where to get one.

Am I being obsessive???

• not obessed enough to desecrate the sanctity of my clothing :|
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Obsessed, Me??? NOOOO.

It's all those other people that are obsessed. It's them who talk about me talking about tri all the time. Get a life , you you...non-triathletes!!! I don't always talk about triathlon. Sometimes I dream about it, think, execute, sleep, eat, live, drink and race triathlon.

So stop saying all I do is talking about triathlon!!!![sm=rolleyes.gif]...........[:)][:D]
  • 'becoming' went ages ago. i already am obesessed!!!! but i love it - its fun to indulge your obsessions!! x
  • osgurosgur Posts: 11
    girlfriend told me I was talking about what i should do to improve my swimming leg in my sleep last night !!
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I love being obsessed, my wife thinks it a phase and is constantly telling me to stop talking to our friends about Tri, and to stop shopping on wiggle !! Did my first Tri (3 more this year) and the bug got even worse, constantly planning how to reduce my times in transition and on each leg. I even start work earlier now so I can knock off earlier to get in extra training before er-indoors gets back from work, though I don't think the dog appreciates it that much I start to see the fear in her eyes when the 2XU kit comes out........[:D]
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    i actually had a nightmare about it last night. Dreamt I was late for the start so everything a bit frantic. Ran out of T1 with my running shoes on, got on bike to find bike shoes in pedals - had to tie running shoes round neck for rest of cycle until finally my bike frame disintegrated (totall disintegrated - cables everything) and I had to DNF!

hopefully my first tri will go better than that
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Guilty.

- http://www.triblogs.com is my home page for my browser.

- I have a dozen Saved Searches on eBay to keep track of my hitlist of bikes and bits.

- My stack of 220's live on my side of the bed and get read over and over, searching for the

magical nugget of advise that's going to transform my swim/bike/run!

- I own more lycra than Spiderman.

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Yes yes and yes.

I've just been sleeping in a broom cupboard for 40 mins at lunch. Weekends training took it out of me (not helped with having a 7 month old!)

I just say to the rest of the office that i'm popping out for a bit.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • I've had a few 'triathlon' dreams but recently I have aparently taken to running in my sleep (or so my boyfriend tells me-none to happy about the bruises he had in the morning)[:D]

I also find that all my conversations revolve around tri's/next training session/last training session/times etc..
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I've just been called a tri-bore!!

Whatever do they mean??
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    gavinrigg06 wrote:

I love being obsessed, my wife thinks it a phase and is constantly telling me to stop talking to our friends about Tri, and to stop shopping on wiggle !! Did my first Tri (3 more this year) and the bug got even worse, constantly planning how to reduce my times in transition and on each leg. I even start work earlier now so I can knock off earlier to get in extra training before er-indoors gets back from work, though I don't think the dog appreciates it that much I start to see the fear in her eyes when the 2XU kit comes out........[:D]

Gavin,

Love the tat. Just like The Rock. Ace. I've got a large part of my arm done and I wanted the breast plate done also but missus won't let me.

You got a bull tat on the other arm?? lol
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Ha, Yes got it done whilst I was working away - came back with it done, not much the missus can say then, apart from how much did that cost !!! its gonna play havoc when I try to have my number marked on my arm....lol
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I've just been called a tri-bore!!

I had my first Tri-bore comment this weekend!! Went to a friends birthday party and got stick for stopping drinking at 2am then borrowing a friends gear to go for a run in the morning. I wasn't the one with the day long hangover though [:)]

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    my first tri dream last night. the open water swim was in a disgusting harbour with black polluted water, and i had to swim through rubbish and muck. managed to get to t1 and on the bike i went the wrong way and nearly cycled off a cliff (!?) close shave indeed, but on the hill back down my front brake came off and was flapping around (!?)

didn't even get to the run, woke up sweating and absolutely petrified. lol

Funny, i've havent ever had a tri dream before. at least, not until i read this thread last night.....!