Home Chat General Chat

Budget Diet

Thats an intertesting question!

2 options

1 - Bake beans on toast for a week and deal with the side effects during and for weeks after!!

2 - The kelloggs 3 bowls a day but use supermarkets own instaed!!!!!

Its a hard question as your training needs will need to be put into the equation. Caloerie in and calories burnt. Also the added problem of fruit and veg.

Looks like you will shopping late at night when the food is reduced.

Comments

• An unusual topic for me to start.

Given £50 to last a week whats the best diet you can come up with?

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Comanighttrain, If you aren't a fussy eater and don't mind left overs for lunch or dinner the next day then that shouldn't be a problem - but one question, how many are you feeding? If it's just you then no problem. If it;s more than that then there could be a problem. I find things like tinned kidney beans, berlotti/butter beans, sweetcorn and things like lentils and cous cous are great to add taste, nutritional value (some of them anyway) and bulk to meals. Then you only need to grill some chickenbreast etc and you virtually have a meal, then that can do for two days dinner, porridge for brekkie, and lunch i tend to have a salad and some type of fish or sarnies and left overs...it may not be exciting but otherwise it's fine. Oh and like Blinky sais, shop later in the day and find bargains. You can also pick up value brand pasta (1kg) for about 70p i think, it depends where you shop.

If you have some ingredients in mind/int eh cupboard, and would like a recipe suggestion pm me and i'll see what i can do. Oh dear i've just put the pressure right on myself here
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    £50???

I live on £25 a week, I train approx 3 hours a day, meaning I have to cover about 5000 calories a day.

My shopping list is pretty much

porridge, porridge, porridge!

milk

soreen

bananas

cereals

bread

tuna

mince, pasta, salmon etc.

you get the idea. I used to be spending a comfortable 50 a week last year, but i was spending too much, and it was all on training food as I needed the calories, so I changed to getting huge amount of porridge/milk/soreen/bananas to cover the training side, I buy in huge bulk so I have the rest of the money to spend on nice food.

I also buy no alcohol, no sweets, no cakes etc.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    I too live on 30 quid a week

Its not that hard to be honest you just have to plan before you go in and only buy whats on the list.

But for 30 pounds you can get loads of lean meat and fruit and veg.

Plus the odd I'VE TRAINED HARD AND I AM DAMN WELL EATING THIS CHOCOLATE
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Sorry that dont really give you an idea does it.

I plan my weeks food by meals.

so i look for the good deals

I shop in morrisons and they often have large potatoes in packs of 4 for 72 pence, so two meals( 2 spuds per meal) and tin of tuna

I'll also spend 8 pounds a week on meat, so you have to addapt each week to get what you looking for, so this week i've bought chicken breasts x 4 £ 3.99 and some turkey meat £ 3.49.

Fruit and veg is easy because you can buy it loose.

Planning mate is the key, maybe i've got too much time on my hands.

If your wanting a diet to lose weight, i'm not your man, as i dont think this sport is for losing weight, that should happen naturally.

need any other help give me a shout.
  • yeah that what i was thinking.

I am gonna buy a lof of frozen meats to keep my protien up so that i dont get too skinny for my other sports interests..ASDA fbudget chicken for the win i think.

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    £50 for one person for the week :O you eat like royalty ... try £80 per week for 4 people now thats a challange ;)

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    try £80 per week for 4 people now thats a challange ;)

though not as great a one as £40 a week for 8 people.. ;-)

didds

• you're all living in another world to me i think - £50 for the week is my dream! I have usually £20 for the month on food! I say for that much buy whatever you want. there's loads of veg and stuff you could get and like mentioned above you couldbuy loads of protein! [:)] x
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    £50 a week! They only way I can get close to that is by going to a fancy restaurant. Or drinking my body weight in beer.

Breakfast - 10p (porridge + milk)

Snacks - Fruit (banana/apple) £1.00

Lunch. Home made soup (20p)

Dinner: Without meat - £1.00, with meat £2.00

Drinks - water or a bit of coffee.

Probably about £15 - £20 per week, tops.

I don't shop at the supermarket. I only buy seasonal veg.

I don't buy processed food or prepared meals.

I go for quality - I'm not shopping for a budget, but for health and ethics.

Of course, If I am away from home - as is often the case, I will end up eating out.

Although, given the vast amount of weight I've put on, I had planned on just getting some muesli and eating that in my hotel room while finishing off "How Life Ruined My Triathlon" (my soon to be published book).

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Can I add that turkey meat seems to be really cheap, can't recall how much per kg..will check. At our fabulous market in the throbbing metropolis that is Brum, turkey leg, drumsticks or wings/quarters are great value & do several meals..been eating goose eggs recently too....mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Turkey is fantastic and tends to be cheaper than chicken - more protein in it too i think. I would also look out for deals on chicken/turkey, My local supermarket tends to have 2for £5 on chicken breast (3 or 4o per pack) most weeks which sees me though the entire week on my own.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    This might help...

[color=#666600][/color]

[color=#666600]http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=30266&mpage=1&key=paprika?[/color]

[color=#000000]There's plenty of people on here on "Soreen watvh" as well, so you'll always know when there's a bogof on.[/color]